Homemade Crepe Cannelloni with Cheese & White Sauce, a delicious way to serve a Baked Pasta. Soft crepes filled with 3 types of cheese and topped with a homemade white sauce. Then Baked to perfection!
Crepe Cannelloni with White Sauce
I recently reposted Crepe Cannelloni with Meat Sauce so I decided that I would need to redo my family’s favourite Cannelloni Crepe, with White Sauce and three types of cheese.
White Sauce Video
I had never tried this type of Cannelloni until I came to Italy and my sister-in-law made them.
My mother-in-law always made them with meat sauce, but my sister-in-law was the one who was more the white sauce type, having worked in a fresh pasta store she knew a few secrets.
She also got me started on the White Sauce Lasagna, which is definitely a must try.
Once my daughters got a taste of crepes they certainly didn’t stop at savory! They would make their own crepes and fill them with Nutella.
How to Make a White Sauce
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat,
- blend in flour and salt, gradually add milk and stir constantly ,
- cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble and thicken,
- remove from heat.
White Sauce Cannelloni
This crepe recipe makes approximately 25 crepes, so you can go half and half (meat sauce and cheese cannelloni) or just meat or just cheese.
But whichever you decide on, I am sure you will agree that this is an amazing way to make cannelloni. So let’s start cooking and Buon Appetito!
Crepe Cannelloni with Cheese & White Sauce
FOR THE CREPES
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups water
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fontal cheese (fontina or gouda would work too, small cubes)
- 3/4 -1 cup fresh mozzarella (small cubes)
FOR THE SAUCE
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE CREPES
- In a large bowl with a whisk beat the eggs and water, approximately 1 minute, add the salt and the flour 1 cup at a time and continue to beat till smooth.**
- In a small frying pan or crepe pan, (I lightly greased the pan once with a brush) using a 1/4 cup ladle (or 1/4 cup) on low to medium heat, pour the crepe mixture in the pan, using the bottom of the ladle to spread the mixture (or a spoon) but don't make them too large or too small. (in the picture the plate is 7 inches (18 centimeters). Crepes cook quite quickly, so watch carefully, approximately 20 seconds on each side, they should be cooked but not browned. When cooked move to a separate plate, continue until all are cooked.
FOR THE SAUCE
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat, blend in the flour and salt, gradually stir in milk , cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble and thicken, remove from heat.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER
- On a wooden board or small plate, place 1 crepe at a time, in the middle of the crepe add 3-4 cubes of mozzarella, 3-4 cubes of fontal cheese and 1-2 teaspoons (dessert spoon) of grated parmesan cheese. Roll up the crepe. (I usually go for 4 cubes of each and 2 dessert spoons of parmesan cheese)
- In a medium baking pan (I used a 12x10) spread a ladle (using a 1/2 cup ladle (or more if needed)) of sauce on the bottom of the pan and then line with stuffed cannelloni (can be touching) top with remaining white sauce and cubes of mozzarella and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Bake in 350° (180°) oven for approximately 20-25 minutes. Enjoy.
**You could also put the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Republished and Updated from April 10, 2014.