These Easy Sugar Cookies make the perfect cut out cookies. Baked to a slight outside crunch with a soft inside. So good they don’t even need a frosting. A definite must for your Holiday Baking.
This year I decided to make quite a few Christmas Cookies. I will make up boxes for friends and family as I do every year, but this year since it has been so hard for many I think they will be appreciated just a little bit more. So naturally I have been making, photographing and freezing these cookies, of course with a taste here and there.
How to make them
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In the mixing bowl cream the butter and sugars until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat.
Add the dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Move the mixture to a flat surface and knead a few times to form a dough ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or even overnight.
How to keep cookies from spreading
To keep the cookies from spreading it is best to include some icing sugar in the mixture, icing sugar keeps the cookies from spreading. Also it is best to use a higher protein flour with at least 12% protein count. And don’t forget to chill the dough for at least 2 hours and again the cut out cookies before baking. These should all help produce the perfect Christmas Sugar Cookies.
How to store them
The baked cooled cookies should be stored in an airtight container in a cool dry area, they will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. They can also be refrigerated in an airtight container, they will keep for up to 7-10 days. If you don’t eat them before this then it is best to freeze them.
How to freeze Sugar Cookies
Place the completely cooled cookies in a freezer safe container, place a piece of parchment paper between the layers. If you plan on decorating them with frosting then it is best to freeze them without frosting. You can also freeze the dough, either roll and cut the cookies, place them on a cookie sheet and freeze until firm, then place them in a freezer safe container.
Or you can freeze the dough, wrap it well in plastic wrap, place in a freezer safe bag and freeze. Both the baked cookies and the dough will last up 3 months in the freezer.
More Delicious Cookies
So if you are planning on making some Sugar Cookies this Holiday Season I hope you try these Easy Cut Out Sugar Cookies and let me know what you think. Enjoy and Happy Baking!
Easy Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour (325 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 pinches salt*
- ¾ cup butter (softened) (168 grams)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- ½ cup powdered/icing sugar (60 grams)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*If you use unsalted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the mixing bowl cream the butter and sugars until smooth about 1-2 minutes on medium speed, then add the eggs and vanilla and beat 1 minute, then add the whisked ingredients and mix just to combine.
- Move the mixture to a flat surface and knead a few times to form a dough ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or even overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and roll out the dough* to about a 1/4 inch thick, cut with cookie cutters and decorate with sprinkles. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Refrigerate the cookies while the oven is pre-heating. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to become slightly golden let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet.