No more bland Dinner Rolls these soft homemade buns taste amazing, with a little help from some Pesto. Choose your favourite Pesto and make some Yummy Dinner Rolls.
A few weeks ago I made some homemade Pesto with Arugula. It was so good I knew I had to use it for more than just pasta! And use it I did. When I first tried Pesto I was on the fence about, I wasn’t crazy about it and I just didn’t understand why everyone was loved it.
But then I came to my senses. I started to make my own and I was converted. Especially when I discovered Arugula Pesto. I love the stuff. I was even eating it by the spoonfuls right out of the jar.
Once I started to experiment with it, I discovered so many delicious recipes to make. I think one of our favourites were a Pesto Pizza I made with fresh tomatoes and Mozzarella.
But then I thought why not bread? My house in Italy is quite cool in the winter so making homemade bread can be a challenge. But once the sun warms up the house its bread making time for me. There is nothing like homemade yeast breads, such as Soft Dinner Rolls.
So why not make some Pesto Dinner Rolls?
How to make Dinner Rolls with Pesto
- In a small bowl add lukewarm water, the yeast and a little sugar and let it sit.
- In the large bowl of a stand up mixer whisk together the flour and salt, make a well in the middle and add
- the yeast mixture and pesto.
- Mix with the dough hook for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Let the dough rise until doubled.
- Form the dough into small buns or rolls.
- Let rise for an hour and then bake. The dinner rolls are ready.
I can tell you these were gone in a day. I served these Dinner Rolls at lunch (the Italian needs his bread) and I used them as hamburger buns for dinner. They were perfect.
How to tell when Dinner Rolls are done
- The inside temperature of the roll measures 190-200 degrees F.
- or knock on the bottom of the roll and if it sounds hollow it is done.
More Pesto Recipes you may enjoy!
- Creamy Fresh Tomato Pesto
- Pesto Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes and Mozzarella
- Arugula Pesto
- Easy Classic Basil Pesto
Equipment you need to make Yeast Dough
- A sturdy Stand Up Mixer with dough hook attachment.
- A Kitchen Scale, because I think all bakers need a scale for accurate baking.
- Cookie Sheets because they are always needed.
There really is nothing difficult about making bread, you just need time. Time for the dough to rise, time for baking and if you have a good mixer that kneads the dough even better! So let’s make some Dinner Rolls with Pesto. Buon Appetito!
Homemade Pesto Dinner Rolls
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water (luke warm)
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons pesto (basil, arugula, parsley or your favourite) (I used arugula pesto)
- In a small bowl add the water and sprinkle on the yeast and sugar. Let sit for approximately 5 minutes then stir to combine.
- In a large bowl of a stand up mixer add the flour and salt and whisk together, make a well in the middle and add the yeast mixture and pesto.
- Mix with the hook attachment until smooth, approximately 10-15 minutes. (stop in the middle to scrape down the sides and the hook).
- Remove dough from the bowl and knead a couple of times to form a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean tea towel, place in a warm draft free area and let rise until doubled about 2 hours.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and punch it down, divide into 8 balls, place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and cover with tea towel, let rise one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Brush with a little milk, then bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until golden and baked. Enjoy!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.