Arugula Pesto, just a few ingredients including fresh arugula, parmesan cheese and a little pecorino makes this pesto a delicious alternative from the Classic Basil Pesto. Try it and see!
If anyone knows me they know I adore Arugula. I love the stuff. In salads, on Pizza or even straight out of the bag. But holy cow when I made this Arugula Pesto it was the best thing ever! I was eating it by the spoon.
When I first came to Italy my mother-in-law would make a delicious Basil Pesto but at the time it just wasn’t to my liking, until things changed or my family decided it was something they loved and I should make it for them.
Making Rocket Pesto, in the food processor.
Which I did and I actually started to like it. So I started to do a little experimenting with Pesto and from a Basil Pesto I moved on to a Tomato Pesto and a Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto and now this amazing Arugula Pesto and who knows what’s next?
All I know is, I went crazy making recipes with this pesto, from Pizza to Pasta Salad to even Pesto Grilled Chicken and I didn’t stop there, I went on to make some deliciously tasty yeast buns. So stay tuned, they will all be posted in the next couple of weeks!
How to make Arugula Pesto
- In a food processor or blender add
- the arugula parmesan and pecorino cheese
- clove of garlic, salt, pine nuts and
- olive oil, depending on desired thickness you can add more olive oil
If by chance you don’t use all your Arugula Pesto in one sitting then it can keep in a covered glass jar for 2-3 days in the fridge, or better yet divide it up and freeze it. Freezing it in ice cube trays is a great idea that I like to do. Just pop them out whenever you need some Pesto.
But what exactly is Arugula / Rocket / Rugula / Rucola?
It’s leafy green vegetable that is full of nutritional benefits for almost every part of the body, from the brain to the liver, including the skin and blood vessels.
This dark green salad leaf has a slightly bitter, peppery flavour. Because of it’s sharp bite it is the perfect choice to cleanse your palate.
So whether you purchase Arugula to throw into your salad bowl, or add as a topping to your favourite pizza, I would love if you gave this Arugula Pesto a try and let me know what you think? Have a great weekend. Buon Appetito!
- 6 cups arugula (130 grams)
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Cheese** (70 grams)
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Cheese (30 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (30 grams)
- 1/2 cup + 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (150 grams)
**If you like a stronger taste of arugula then add only 1/2 cup + 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons of parmesan.
- In a food processor or blender add the arugula, parmesan and pecorino cheese, salt, chopped garlic, pine nuts and 1/4 cup olive oil to start. Blend ingredients on medium speed until it starts to combine, then add another 1/4 cup of olive oil and blend again for approximately 30 seconds, then add a tablespoon or 2 of the remaining olive oil until you reach your desired thickness. Mix with cooked pasta, sprinkle with grated Parmesan Cheese. Enjoy.
**Leftover Pesto can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen.