Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto just a few ingredients to make one of the best Pesto Recipes you will ever taste. Perfect tossed with your favourite pasta or made into Puff Pastry Twists. So good and so easy.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
But I have to say this is probably the most delicious Pesto I have yet to make or taste. It was a hit with everyone!
A couple of times I tossed it with pasta and since I had a roll of puff pastry in the fridge I made some puff pastry twists.
Where did Sun-dried Tomatoes originate?
Sun-dried tomatoes are very popular in the South of Italy, mainly Calabria, Sicily and Puglia. The end of summer the tomatoes are left to dry out in the sun and then preserved in oil.
What are the ingredients in Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto?
- Sun-dried tomatoes, you can make your own or use store bought (under oil in a jar).
- Parmesan Cheese
- Pine Nuts
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Basil
You will notice that salt is not included that is because store-bought sun-dried tomatoes are already salted, if you make your own then just add a couple of pinches of salt to the recipe.
How to store Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Jars of pesto should be stored in the fridge. It will last up to three to four days refrigerated. Be sure to cover the pesto with oil so it doesn’t dry out.
The pesto can also be frozen, be sure to thaw in the fridge before using.
What can you make with Sun-Dried Tomatoes?
I love adding a few to my salad or even chopping a few before making some homemade bread or buns.
How to make Sun-dried Tomato Puff Pastry Twists
- Un-roll the puff pastry and lightly roll a couple of times to smooth it out.
- Spread the tomato pesto over half the pastry and cover with the other half.
- Sprinkle with your favourite seeds, I used poppy seeds.
- Cut into about 1/2 inch strips and twists.
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350F (180C) for about 15-20 minutes or until golden.
So if you are looking to try a Pesto that is a little different but definitely delicious, why not give this Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Recipe
- 1 cup packed sun-dried tomatoes (drained & quartered) (150 grams)
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 3 almonds (blanched)
- 1/2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (25 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil* (75 grams)
*start by adding 1/3 cup then more if needed but add 1 tablespoon at a time. (I used 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon).
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil to top the finished pesto before refrigerating.
- In a food processor add drained sun-dried tomatoes, basil, nuts and garlic, blend until chunky, then add the parmesan cheese, oregano and oil, mix until blended to desired consistency. Spoon into a glass jar, top with the extra olive oil and keep refrigerated. Enjoy!