These Dinner Rolls are soft and light. Easy to make with a few simple ingredients. Yeast rolls made fluffy and delicious. Perfect with any dinner dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Bread with meals in Italy is a must, whether you serve sliced Loaf Bread, buns or even Dinner Rolls . Italians will go out every day to buy fresh bread for the day. And of course any leftover bread will be used for Meatballs or even Bruschetta.
In the South of Italy they love to use cooked potatoes in yeast dough. I made my first recipe with the addition of potatoes in an Easy Focaccia recipe, potatoes help to make a soft tender bread.
How to make Dinner Rolls
- In a small bowl add the water and sugar, sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit for about five minutes then stir to combine.
- In the bowl of the Stand Up Mixer, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Make a well in the centre and add the mashed potatoes and oil then start to knead on low.
- Add the yeast mixture and knead until dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, roll the dough in the bowl to lightly oil it (this prevents the dough from drying out), cover the bowl with plastic and a clean tea towel.
- Place in a draft free warm area and let rise 1-2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and form into small balls.
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, cover and let rise 30-60 minutes.
- Bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes. Then brush with melted butter and serve either warm or room temperature.
Italian always boil their potatoes with the skin on, this helps to prevent the potatoes from becoming too watery. Let them cool for about 5 minutes then remove the skin.
You can either mash them or pass them through a Potato Ricer.
What temperature is lukewarm?
Lukewarm is considered between 105-110F (40-43C). Be aware that the yeast will die at a temperature over 140F (60C).
What flour to use for yeast bread?
I usually use all purpose flour, although you can substitute with bread flour. The main difference being that bread flour is higher in Protein (12-14 to 8-11 for all purpose).
Using bread flour you will get a chewier and denser bread dough it may even cause the dough to rise higher. So it’s up to you, whether you wish to use all purpose or bread flour.
How to reheat them
Place the rolls on a baking sheet or wrap in foil and warm in a pre-heated 325F (160C) oven. Heat for about 5-8 minutes or until warm.
How to Store Bread Rolls
Dinner Rolls should not be refrigerated as this will dry them out. They should be stored in an air tight bag or container and kept at room temperature. They will last up to 5-6 days at room temperature.
Anything longer than that and they should be frozen. Place in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze. They will last up to six months in the freezer.
So with the holiday season fast approaching every dinner needs some dinner rolls. So why not try these and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Easy Soft Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons lukewarm water (162 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups all purpose (or bread) flour (260 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium potato (mashed) (100 grams)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (lite)
- In a small bowl add the water and sugar, stir, then sprinkle the yeast on top, let sit for 5 minutes then stir to combine.
- In the bowl of the stand up mixer whisk together the flour and salt, make a well in the middle and add the mashed potatoes and oil. Start to knead on low then add the yeast mixture and continue to knead on low/medium speed for about 3-4 minutes or until dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl (rolling the dough to lightly grease it, this keeps the dough from drying out), cover the bowl with plastic and a clean dish towel. Place in a warm draft free area and let rise 1-2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and form into balls. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, cover and let rise for about 30-60 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Bake the rolls for approximately 15-20 minutes. Brush with melted butter once baked, eat warm or room temperature. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.