An easy Chickpea Salad recipe, made with tomatoes, potatoes, olives, arugula and spices. Then tossed with a simple olive oil dressing. The perfect side dish or main dish salad!
I love salads anytime of the year, from a white bean salad to a roasted red pepper pasta salad to a simple fruit salad. And this Chickpea salad in my opinion is one of those anytime salads. It’s a hearty type of salad which means not only is it perfect as a side dish but also makes a great main dish too! Plus it’s good for you!
- Cooked chickpeas – either canned or dried and soaked overnight
- Grape tomatoes – or cherry tomatoes
- Potatoes – cooked and cubed
- Red onion
- Back olives – pitted and halved
- Arugula – also known as rocket
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar – or you could use lemon juice
- Black pepper
How to make a Chickpea Salad
Cook your chickpeas and potatoes until tender and let cool. In a large bowl add the chickpeas, halved grape tomatoes, chopped cucumber, onion, olives and potatoes.
In a small jar add the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano and shake to combine. Combine the salad with the dressing and refrigerate for about 30 – 60 minutes. Add the arugula just before serving (so it doesn’t wilt).
Are chickpeas good for you?
Chickpeas are definitely good for you, they are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. They may even help improve digestion, help with weight loss and reduce the risk of several diseases. They are also high in protein which makes them a perfect substitute in vegetarian cooking.
Can I use canned chickpeas?
I like to use dried chickpeas but canned would work also. Just make sure to drain and rinse them well.
How to prepare dried chickpeas
In a large bowl add the dried chickpeas and cover well with water. Let the dried chickpeas sit for about 8 hours then drain and cook until tender. Let cool before adding to the salad.
How to store the Chickpea Salad
The Chickpea Salad should be well covered and refrigerated. It will keep for up to three days in the fridge.
More Delicious Salads to Try
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts Salad
- Mediterranean Rice Salad Bowl
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
So if you are looking for a Healthy Delicious Salad to try, I hope you give this Chickpea Salad a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Easy Italian Chickpea Salad
- 1½ cups drained cooked chickpeas (approximately 2 cans drained and rinsed)
- ¾ cup grape or cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 medium potatoes cooked and cubed
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ cucumber (cut & cubed)
- 12 black olives (halved)
- 2-3 handfuls arugula
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes pepper (or more if desired)
- In a large bowl add the chickpeas, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, cucumber and black olives.
- in a small jar add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Place the top on the jar and shake to combine.
- Pour desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for about 30-60 minutes. Just before serving add the arugula, toss and serve. Enjoy!