This Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake is a moist and delicious cake recipe, flavored with brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon and ginger. Perfect served simple or with a dollop of Cinnamon Whipped Cream. A Holiday Ginger Cake dessert that can’t be beat.
This is a simple and easy cake that has become a Holiday tradition in our house. The first time I made gingerbread cookies I wasn’t sure my family and friends would appreciate them as much as I did.
I thought the strong taste would not grab them they way it did me. But was I wrong!
Especially with my youngest daughter, who declared them her absolute favourite cookie ever! So the next year when I made them again I was sure it was just a fluke and she would decide they weren’t to her liking after all.
Nope I was wrong, “yay my favourite cookies”. Who would have guessed?
What are the ingredients for the cake?
- Brown Sugar
- Hot water
- Cake/Pastry Flour
- Baking soda
Ingredients for the Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- Whole or Whipping cream – be sure to use whole or whipping cream, it should have at least 30% fat or it won’t whip.
- Powdered/Icing sugar
So this year I decided a change was needed and I would make my Mom’s Gingerbread Cake recipe. And I have to admit this cake is amazing.
How to make Gingerbread Cake
In a medium bowl cream butter, then gradually add the brown sugar and the molasses and beat to combine, then add the hot water and beat until combined.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
Add the flour mixture in 3 parts to the creamed mixture beating after each addition. Then add the beaten eggs. Beat to combine.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes.
Let cool completely before serving. Serve with a spoonful of Cinnamon whipped cream.
How to Make Cake Flour
For every cup of all purpose flour, remove two tablespoons and replace with two tablespoons of corn starch. Be sure to sift the flour and cornstarch together a couple of times, this way it is sure to be properly combined and lump free. Cake flour in cakes will give you a very tender texture and fine crumb, it will also help the cake to rise.
What is the difference between Ginger Cake and Gingerbread Cake?
They are pretty much the same thing, apparently people started called gingerbread cake ginger cake because they would get confused between the cake and the better known cookie cut out version.
Store the Gingerbread Cake in a cool dry place, be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic or in an airtight container. It will last for about five days. The taste of the cake will actually improve after a day or two.
The cake can also be frozen. Freeze tightly wrapped in plastic in an airtight freezer safe bag or container. Properly stored it will keep for up to six months in the freezer.
If you enjoy your Gingerbread Cake warm then you can reheat the cake in a 300F (150C) degree oven for about five minutes.
More Holiday Cakes to Enjoy.
This cake tastes exactly like a gingerbread cookie. Not overly strong on taste, actually I would say perfect. It is the best Gingerbread Cake I have ever tried.
And yes my youngest loved it. And what’s even better is that it is so easy to make. No heavy frostings needed. Just a spoonful of Cinnamon Whipped Cream and dessert is served.
So if you are looking for the perfect Cake for this Holiday Season I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake. Enjoy!
Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 2 1/4 cups flour (cake/pastry flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 2 eggs beaten
CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup cream (whole or whipping)
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl cream butter, then gradually add the brown sugar and the molasses and beat to combine, then add the hot water and combine.
- In another medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger (if using).
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts to the creamed mixture beating after each addition. Then add the beaten eggs. Beat to combine.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before serving. Serve with a spoonful of Cinnamon whipped cream. Enjoy!
CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM
- In a medium bowl add cream, cinnamon and sugar, beat until stiff.
Updated from December 12, 2017.