Here we are, the arrival of my favourite month. What comes with October? Besides Halloween and cooler weather, at least let’s hope here in Italy it will arrive, maybe then some of the annoying mosquitoes will take a hike!
I will say stew season. I must admit I was never a stew lover when I was a kid. I can remember my mother would make stew, but she would always add dumplings. I never did and I don’t think ever will like dumplings. That being said this Italian beef stew is really yummy and you guessed it, no dumplings added. Sorry Mom! But just like her’s it has great flavour and fresh vegetables.
My kids unlike me when I was a kid ask me to make this stew at least once a week. What I like about stew besides the deliciousness is the fact that once it is in the pot it cooks without much effort. Stir every now and again and all is well.
What’ even better is it is a meal all in its own, serve with a big Italian crusty bread, a good glass of Italian red wine and dinner is served. Buon Appetito!
- 1 lb . stewing beef 500 grams, cut into 1/2-1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups of tomato puree 350 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 1/2 grams
- 1 teaspoon basil 3/4 gram
- 1 teaspoon oregano 3/4 gram
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil 39 grams
- 1 1/2 cups water 345 grams
- 1 1/2 cups peas 225 grams, frozen
- 2 potatoes chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- hot pepper flakes to taste if desired
- In a medium pan add 1 tablespoon (13 grams) olive oil, lightly flour beef chunks and brown.
- In a large pot add 2 tablespoons (26 grams) olive oil, garlic and browned beef, add tomato puree, salt, basil, oregano, bay leaf and water cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, then add peas, potatoes and carrots. Cover and continue simmering on low for 45 minutes, uncover and raise heat and cook until desired thickness. Serve immediately with Italian crust bread. Enjoy!