Peas and Pancetta is an easy Italian recipe. Only three ingredients make this the perfect side dish to just about anything. Peas never tasted so good.
Peas and Pancetta
If someday someone would have said to me that I would one day be fighting over the last pea in a bowl, I would have laughed and laughed.
I was used to boiled peas (sorry Mom, but peas were not your signature dish).
Then I came to Italy and I discovered the best way to enjoy this green vegetables and my life has been filled with peas since then. My daughters love this dish, especially my eldest, when she sees them on the table I always know that there will be no leftovers for dinner.
How to make Peas and Pancetta
- In a medium pan add olive oil and pancetta, over medium heat cook until golden.
- Add the peas, salt and the water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes or until the water has evaporated and the peas are tender.
Can you use frozen peas?
Yes you can use either fresh or frozen peas. No need to defrost the peas before cooking.
More Delicious Side Dishes
If there is a cuisine that can turn one of the least loved vegetables into something that I would always have on my shopping list, it has to be Italian.
The first time I tried my mother-in-law’s peas, I thought, “oh no, here we go, those horrendous, tasteless green things”. Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong.
After the first forkful, it was “wow, how the heck did that happen?”, this woman can cook! So, stop boiling those peas, get out the pancetta and everyone will be happy. Buon Appetito!
Peas and pancetta
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped pancetta
- 3 cups peas (450 grams)
- 1/2 cup water (115 grams)
- In a medium pan add the olive oil and pancetta, cook over medium heat until golden then add the peas, salt and water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes or until water has evaporated and peas are tender. Enjoy!
Updated from June 11, 2014.