Italian Roasted Vegetable, delicious good for you veggies, tossed with the perfect blend of spices and Olive oil, then Roasted to Perfection. They make the perfect side dish to any meal.
If you have never eaten roasted vegetables, this is a must try. It is not only good for you, but it’s also absolutely delicious. I combined six different types of vegetables.
Italian Roasted Vegetables
As my visit in Canada continues, so does this crazy weather. Saturday was an absolute beautiful day, wonderfully spent with my daughter and my niece in another picturesque town, just north of Toronto called Port Perry.
We spent the day walking around the town. Stopping to check out the market to see the locals selling their fresh vegetables.
Naturally, I bought some fresh vegetables to add to my Italian Roasted Vegetables, that I planned on cooking for dinner. We couldn’t resist stopping in all the small shops. And of course I couldn’t help but buy one of my absolute favourite candy.
Fudge at the local chocolate shop, which was absolutely delicious. After a few more purchases we decided it was time to head back home for our can’t-wait-for-barbecue. The great thing about Canadians, is the fact that they try to soak in all the sun and heat they can before the winter season returns.
The grass is green, the gardens and pots are full of flowers, there are amazing vegetable gardens in tiny backyards. Oh and don’t forget about their amazing barbecues, something they are very serious about.
What are the Best Vegetables to Roast?
The best vegetables to roast are Root Vegetables, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, parsnips and beets. Other vegetables that shouldn’t be missed are Zucchini, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, summer squash, brussels sprouts, onions and of course whatever your favourites are.
How to Make Roasted Vegetables:
- Wash and clean all the vegetables
- I peeled only the beets and onions and left the skin on the zucchini and potatoes, you can peel all of you wish.
- Separate the broccoli into florets.
- Cut the remaining vegetables into large pieces and place all the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Add the garlic and spices (a shake or two of hot pepper flakes or black pepper is a great addition) add the olive oil and toss gently together.
- Place the vegetables on one or two parchment paper lined cookie sheets and bake in a pre-heated 375 degrees (190 celsius) oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until browned and tender. Turning a couple of times. Serve immediately.
During the Summer we tend to eat healthier and lighter, especially in Italy where the heat is unbearable, so Roasted Vegetables are the perfect healthy side dish. No frying just baked with fresh or dried herbs and healthy olive oil.
The Best Temperature for Roasting Vegetables:
The best temperature for roasting veggies is 375F (190C), roast the vegetables for about 30-40 minutes, stirring at least once or twice during roasting for even cooking and browning.
How to Roast Vegetables on the BBQ:
Place the vegetables on 2 or 3 sheets of foil or foil pans and sprinkle with a little additional salt (if desired) and if necessary drizzle with a little extra olive oil, fold and seal gently or cover pan with foil. Roast for approximately 20-25 minutes or until done.
What to serve with Roasted Vegetables:
What I like about Roasted Vegetables is that they can also be done all year-long either in the oven or on the BBQ! Just pick your favourite in season vegetables and you are ready to go. Buon Appetito!
- 3 tomatoes (or 10 cherry tomatoes)
- 2 potatoes
- 2 beets
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 peppers large sliced
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 head of broccoli and or cauliflower (or half and half)
- 1 eggplant
- 12 mushrooms halved
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil (43 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt or as desired
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 3 leaves sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary removed from the stems
- 1-2 dashes hot pepper flakes or black pepper if desired
- Wash and clean all the vegetables ( I peeled only the beets and onions and left the skin on the zucchini and potatoes (clean really well), separate the broccoli into florets, cut the remaining vegetables into large pieces and place all the vegetables in a large bowl, add garlic, oregano, salt, rosemary, fresh basil, hot pepper flakes and olive oil, toss gently together.
- Place the vegetables - if using a BBQ - on 1-2 sheets of foil or foil pans and sprinkle with additional salt (if desired) and if necessary drizzle with a little extra olive oil, fold and seal gently or cover pan with foil. Roast for approximately 20-25 minutes or until done, browned and tender.
- If roasting in the oven- place vegetables on one or two parchment paper lined cookie sheets and bake in a pre-heated 375 degrees (190 celsius) for approximately 30-40 minutes. Turning a couple of times, bake until tender. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Updated from July 14, 2014.