Italian Orange Cake a delicious, easy made from scratch Orange Cake. A healthy snack or dessert cake made with fresh oranges, greek yogurt and olive oil.
I have made quite a few Italian cakes on this blog, from Italian Fresh Cream Lemon Cake to a Chocolate Ricotta Cake to this delicious, moist, Italian Orange Cake. As they say in Italian “Una più buona del’altra”, (one is better than the other.)
To tell the truth it is hard to decide which we like the most.
I thought: “before winter ends I have to make something with one of my favourite winter fruits.” I have given the spotlight to Apples, so now it is time for the orange to shine, and shine it does.
This Italian Orange Cake is easy and simple and includes some healthy Greek Yogurt. I tend to use Greek Yogurt more now instead of buttermilk or sour milk, it seems to make baked goods moister.
And as my mother-in-law always said “add some olive oil” to make it even better, so I did. I also added some extra orange zest to make that orange flavour pop.
Like most Italian cakes, a simple dusting of Powdered Sugar is all it needs. Italians are not big on frosting, especially sweet frostings, just ask the Italian.
Now Tiramisù is another story, and can you blame them? All that creamy mascarpone and fresh cream.
Italian Orange Cake
You know how they say cake is not for breakfast? “Eat cereal”, well don’t believe them because this Italian Orange Cake is perfect anytime. And why not in the afternoon with a coffee or tea? The perfect break. Enjoy!
Italian Orange Cake
- 3/4 cup sugar 180 grams
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons flour 150 grams
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter 50 grams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 15 ml
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 2 1/2 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 2 1/2 grams
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1.4 grams
- zest from half an orange
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt 32 1/2 grams
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk 21 grams
- Pre-heat oven to 320° (160° celsius), lightly grease and flour an 8 inch cake pan.Whisk yogurt and milk together until smooth.Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.Melt butter and combine with olive oil and zest, cool.Beat eggs and sugar until frothy and doubled in size, add yogurt/milk mixture, beat in flour mixture and melted butter mixture, beat until smooth.Pour into prepared cake pan and bake approximately 45-60 minutes or until tooth pick comes out dry. Let cool, dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired. Enjoy!
I am really happy to be sharing this tasty Italian Orange Cake not only with all of you but also with some other wonderful bloggers. We all got together to present “An Italian Dinner Feast”.
I hope you will take a look at all the amazing things the other bloggers shared and maybe you will decide to have your own Italian Feast. Buon Appetito!