These Easy Lemon Drop Cookies are made in one bowl, a simple buttery lemony cookie that will satisfy every lemon lover. No refrigerating the dough needed, just drop, bake and you will have delicious homemade cookies in 30 minutes.
As you can see I am on a Cookie recipe craze these days and this time I decided to make the Italian happy by combining his two favourite flavours. Lemon and Coconut. And what a cookie it is!
How to make them
In the mixer whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest.
Add the eggs, butter and lemon juice, beat to combine. Fold in the shredded coconut if using.
Drop by spoonfuls and sprinkle with more coconut or pearl sugar if desired. Bake and let cool before serving.
What can I add to the cookies?
Besides adding coconut you can also add white or dark chocolate chips or even some finely chopped nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts or even walnuts. Or how about a few berries such as blueberries or blackberries. If you like raisins they would work too. If you decide to add berries, then I would freeze them first before adding, and be sure to soak your raisins in boiling water for about 10-15 minutes (drain well and towel dry) before adding to the batter.
What are drop cookies
These cookies are called this because they are formed by dropping spoonfuls of dough or batter onto a cookie sheet. They tend to be moister and more cake like then regular rolled out cookies.
How to tell when the cookies are done
The cookies should be lightly golden and starting to darken around the edges when done. Be sure to let them cool before tasting.
How to store them
The cooled cookies should be stored in an airtight container, they can be kept at room temperature for a day or two, more than that they should be refrigerated. If you house is on the warm side then definitely refrigerate them. They will keep for up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
They can also be frozen, once they have cooled place in an airtight freezer safe bag or container. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
More Related Recipes
So if you are looking for a simple one bowl Lemon Cookie Recipe then I hope you give these Easy Lemon Drop Cookies a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy.
Easy Lemon Drop Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour (260 grams)
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar (120 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt*
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup butter (soft)* (105 grams)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4-1/3 cup shredded or flaked unsweetened (desiccated) coconut (I used 1/4 cup) (25-33 grams)
*If using unsalted butter then use 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest.
- Add the eggs, butter and lemon juice, beat to combine (do not over beat). Fold in the shredded coconut (or any extra such as nuts, raisins or chocolate chips) if using.
- Drop by spoonfuls and sprinkle with more coconut or pearl sugar if desired. Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes or until golden (lightly browned around the edges) let cool on cookie sheet then move to a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired. Enjoy!