These Chocolate Chip Pear Drop Cookies are an easy one bowl cookie recipe. No need to refrigerate the dough, cookies baked and ready to eat in 30 minutes. Who knew pears could taste so good.
As we head into the cooler months we also head into my favourite fruits, from pears to apples and don’t forget oranges! I wanted to share a simple cookie recipe using pears. And what goes better with pears than chocolate! This easy one bowl drop cookie is as simple as it is delicious.
How to make them
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs and butter and beat to combine.
Then fold in the chopped pear and chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake.
Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet then move to a wire rack.
What are the best pears to use for baking
I like to use ripe but firm pears and for me the best tasting pears for baking are Abate, Anjou, Bosc or Bartlett. For cooking or baking the best way to tell if they are firm but ripe, is when pressed near the stem the fruit should yield only slightly. If they are soft on any part of the fruit they are too ripe and should not be used (but can be eaten).
Why use room temperature ingredients
Room temperature ingredients incorporate easier and better and they also make a fluffier cookie, just remember to remove the ingredients from the fridge about 30-45 minutes before using.
What are drop cookies
These cookies are called this because they are formed by dropping spoonfuls of dough or batter onto a cookie sheet. They tend to be moister and more cake like then regular rolled out cookies.
How to store them
The cooled cookies should be stored in an airtight container, they can be kept at room temperature for a day or two, more than that they should be refrigerated. If you house is on the warm side then definitely refrigerate them. They will keep for up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
They can also be frozen, once they have cooled place in an airtight freezer safe bag or container. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
More Related Recipes
So if you are looking for a something to make with a pear or two why not try these easy one bowl Chocolate Chip Pear Drop Cookies and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Pear Drop Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour (260 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt*
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)* (105 grams)
- 1 medium-large pear (peeled, cleaned & finely chopped) (or 2 small)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or milk) (85 grams)
*If using unsalted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
For room temperature remove the ingredient about 30-45 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Line a large or 2 medium cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs and butter and beat on medium speed to combine.
- Fold in the chopped pear and chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for about 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet then move to a wire rack. Enjoy!