Only two ingredients to make this Easy Creamy Homemade Mascarpone. This Italian Cream Cheese is perfect as a filling or ingredient in recipes. So good and saves money too!
I love Mascarpone, if I can substitute it in anything I will. I would choose it over cream cheese any day! I find it creamier, tastier and smoother. And the taste cannot be beat.
One day a friend of ours asked me, since I love it so much I should make my own Homemade Mascarpone, and that is exactly what I did!
I made it in Italy (actually more than once I must add). Then when I came home to Toronto and I needed it for a recipe, I knew it was one of the best things I could have done. Not only did I have to go to 4 different stores before I found a container of the stuff I practically had to take a loan out to buy it!
Why is it the good stuff always costs so much?!
Ingredients for Homemade Mascarpone
- Whole Cream
- lemon juice
There may be only two ingredients for Homemade Mascarpone, but you do need a little time and patience to make it! And a candy thermometer is a definite necessity.
How to Make Mascarpone
- Heat the cream to 185 F (85 C) (stirring)
- Remove from heat until it reaches 140 F (60 C)
- Replace on heat add the lemon juice and heat again to 185 F (85C)
- Again remove from heat and bring down the temperature to 140 F (60 C)
- Pour the cream into a glass bowl, cover the bowl and let sit until completely cool
- Pour into a sieve lined with a tea towel or 3-4 layers of cheese cloth and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Naturally I made a few recipes with this Homemade Mascarpone, which I will be sharing but until then I hope you enjoy these.
So take your time, don’t rush it and make some delicious Creamy Homemade Mascarpone. Enjoy!
What you need to make Mascarpone
- Definitely purchase a Candy Thermometer
- A heavy Sturdy Pot for heating the cream.
- A Glass Bowl for holding the cream.
Creamy Homemade Mascarpone
- In a medium size pot add the cream and place over medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon or rubber whisk, place a candy thermometer in the pot and heat until it reaches 185 F (85 C).
- Remove from heat and continue to stir until the temperature comes down to 140 F (60 C).
- Place the pot back on the heat and bring it back up to 185 F (85 C), continue to stir, then add the lemon juice lower the heat, keeping the temperature at 185 F and heat and stir for 3 minutes.
- Remove again from the heat and bring the temperature down to 140 F (60 C), continue to stir.
- Then pour the cream into a glass bowl, cover with a lid and cover with a tea towel, let sit at room temperature for 3 hours.
- In a clean bowl place a sieve (make sure sieve is not touching the bottom of the bowl), and line the sieve with a clean cotton tea towel or 3 or 4 layers of cheese cloth, pour the cooled cream onto the cloth, then cover with plastic wrap and a clean towel.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours. Enjoy.
- Makes about 1 - 1 1/2 cups.