Mocha Cake Doughnuts, light and soft with just the right amount of coffee taste. Top with a drizzle of Cream Cheese Frosting and it’s the perfect Dessert, Snack or even Breakfast Treat.
I have been obsessed with doughnuts since last summer. It all started when I went to Toronto to attend my eldest daughter’s graduation, she is now my eldest daughter the “Journalist” and of course visit my family.
On one of our lets-go-walk-around-town days my daughters bright idea was to go try her absolute favourite pastries, macarons. I had never eaten one and yeah I was curious. They were everywhere.
We arrived at this small and adorable pastry shop in downtown Toronto, we chose our macarons (of course I went with chocolate, what else?). As my daughter eats hers so slowly to savour every bite full.
I can only think that 1. they certainly aren’t my favourite and 2. what? $4 dollars for one macaron?
On our way out of the adorable bake shop I noticed a sign up with day classes in bread making, Pie making and yes doughnut making. So obviously I signed up for the doughnut class.
I was so excited this class was going to teach me all the techniques for making fried and Cake doughnuts, how cool would that be?
A week before the class I received an email telling me to bring comfortable shoes and an apron. I had that apron ready from the day I signed up.
Mocha Cake Doughnuts
I even ordered a doughnut cake pan, imagining myself the day after my class baking up some yummy cake doughnuts.
Unfortunately 2 days before the class, I receive the dreaded “sorry class has been cancelled and will take place instead in 2 weeks”, but not for me. I packed my doughnut pan and back to Italy I went.
Since that sad day of my cancelled doughnut class I have been obsessed with doughnuts, but not anymore because these soft and delicate tasting Mocha Cake Doughnuts with a creamy marscarpone glaze were a complete success.
The Italian ate one before I could even glaze it and the Nutella queen ate almost all the rest. I hid one because photos must be taken.
Now, I am no longer obsessed but I will be making more doughnuts. Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- MARSCARPONE GLAZE
- 1/4 cup whipping cream I use whole cream only because that is all I have
- 2 tablespoons marscarpone cream cheese may be substituted
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Grease 6 tin donut pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa.
- In a small saucepan over low heat melt butter, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg, coffee, milk, yogurt and vanilla, add melted butter and combine.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until it becomes smooth.
- Fill doughnut pan until almost full. Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes (check with a toothpick for doneness), cool in pan and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl add whipping cream, marscarpone and icing sugar, beat until desired thickness. Top with glaze. Enjoy!