Easy Italian Pear Cake, a simple moist dessert or Afternoon Tea Cake. Made with creamy mascarpone and fresh pears. Your new family light dessert favorite, Pear Cake.
I remember every Sunday my Mom would make a delicious roast beef and potato dinner. My father of Irish decent was the typical meat and potatoes kind of guy, no pasta for him or at least not very often.
I think my sisters and I were more inclined to the Italian side. We couldn’t wait for her amazing spaghetti and meatballs dinner night to arrive. My Dad not so much.
I discovered when I arrived in Italy, that Spaghetti and meatballs are a North American invention, and Italians would never serve their spaghetti with meatballs.
Spaghetti is a primo piatto and meatballs are a secondo (first and second plates). That was a hard one to get used to and one that I let slip in once in a while.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
One thing that we all agreed on was dessert and that was always a chocolate cake with a mocha icing (I will have to make that one of these days!). My mother’s best cake, and I have yet to taste one as good as hers!
I also discovered when I came to Italy was that Italian cakes, homemade-every-day-cakes were very rarely, if ever, frosted. But most of the times they were dusted with icing sugar or unsweetened cocoa.
Easy Italian Pear Cake
This cake and a my simple Yogurt cake are perfect for anyone who loves a less sweet cake. I find this Pear Cake a perfect example of that.
It is one of those cakes that make the perfect breakfast cake. And don’t we all love a delicious cake for breakfast? Besides who can refuse the tasty combination of mascarpone and pears? Enjoy!
Easy Italian Pear Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup mascarpone (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pears (room temperature) (ripe but firm)
Room temperature - remove from fridge 30-45 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 340° (170° celsius). Lightly grease and flour a 9" (23 1/2 centimeter) cake pan ( I used a spring-form pan)
- Clean and peel the pears, one pear chop into medium-sized cubes and the other pear thin slices, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, at medium speed beat eggs and sugar until creamy, add mascarpone and continue beating until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, corn starch, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in with a wooden spoon the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, stir gently to combine, then add the oil and stir to combine.
- Fold in the medium-sized cubed pear, spoon into prepared cake pan.
- Top with sliced pears and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons (40 grams) sugar (granulated).
- Bake approximately 45 - 60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
**Today (November 20,2016) I am adding an update to this recipe. I have remade this cake today and I am posting a video because I am convinced even more after making it again that it is one of the best cakes on this food blog. I am sorry if anyone is having a problem with it not baking but I urge you to double check to make sure that you are baking it at the proper temperature, whether Fahrenheit or Celsius. Thanks and Happy Sunday.