This easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake makes a delicious dessert or even afternoon treat with a cup of tea or coffee. So good it will be gone in no time. Perfect the way it is, no need for creams or sauces.
This is a recipe my sister-in-law would make very often, I love pineapple but had never had this cake before. I have eaten a Peach Upside-Down Cake and an Apple Upside-Down Cake but this was my first Pineapple Cake. I loved it from the first mouthful and I hope you do too!
How to make it
Pour the melted butter into the bottom of the cake pan and brush the sides, sprinkle with the brown sugar, place the sliced pineapple on top and in the middle of every slice place a maraschino cherry, if desired. Set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl beat together the eggs, egg yolk and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the vanilla, yogurt and milk beat until smooth.
Add the whisked flour mixture and beat until smooth. Pour over the pineapple and Bake. Once the cake is cool or warmish, turn upside down on a large plate. Serve.
Why use cake/pastry flour?
I tend to use cake or pastry flour in most of my cake recipes because it makes the cake softer and more tender. Instead of buying it you can always make your own, for every cup of all purpose flour, remove 2 tablespoons and substitute with 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Be sure to sift the ingredients together so that there are no lumps.
How to serve it
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake can be served either warm or room temperature. You can serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or even a scoop of your favourite vanilla ice cream. Or even plain it is very delicious and this is how I usually serve it.
How to store it
The cake should be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container or wrapped well in plastic wrap or foil, bring it to room temperature before serving. Remove from the fridge about an hour or so before serving. It will last up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
It can also be frozen. Wrap the completely cooled cake with plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe bag or container. It will keep for 2-3 months in the freezer. Thaw the wrapped cake at room temperature, it should take about an hour to thaw.
More Upside Down Cakes
So if you are looking for an old-fashioned classic cake, why not give this Pineapple Upside-Down Cake a try and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted cooled)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (lightly packed) (60 grams)
- 6 pineapple slices well drained (in syrup or juice, I used syrup)
- 6 maraschino cherries (if desired)
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 cups cake/pastry flour (260 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup plain yogurt (room temperature - I used whole fat yogurt) (125 grams)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons milk (room temperature - I used 2%) (90 grams)
For room temperature, remove the ingredients from the fridge about 30-45 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Pour the melted butter into the bottom of a 8 or 9 inch (20-23 cm) cake pan, brush the sides with a little of the butter, the rest will remain on the bottom of the pan, sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the melted butter, then place the sliced pineapple on top and in the middle of every slice place a maraschino cherry, if desired. Set aside.
FOR THE CAKE
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs, egg yolk and sugar until light and fluffy about 3-4 minutes, then add the vanilla, yogurt and milk beat until smooth. Add the whisked flour mixture and beat until smooth about 1 minute. Pour the batter evenly over the pineapple and bake for approximately 30-45 minutes, test for doneness with a toothpick. Let cool or serve warm. Let the cake cool before turning upside down on a large plate, then cut and serve. Enjoy!
Was looking for a quick dessert and found this recipe —it is so quick and dlish!!!
Hi Yvonne, thanks so much, so glad you enjoyed it. Take care!