Shrimp Stuffed Avocado, made with only five ingredients, a fast and easy appetizer or main dish. The perfect Summer Recipe.
I am probably one of the last people on earth to become a lover (ok maybe not lover, but liker) of Avocados. Both my daughters absolutely love them. They would probably buy them by the crate if they could.
When my husband and I went to visit her my eldest daughter two years ago when she graduated from College she tried to convert me, but to no avail. At that time I still hadn’t seen them in grocery stores in Italy.
But when she moved back home for a year, we suddenly discovered avocados in Italy, she tried again, but sorry I was having none of it.
So one day my husband and a friend went olive tree buying and what does he come home with? Yup, an Avocado Tree, I have no idea why. Unless he’s hoping this tree will lure his daughter back!
I think at that point I decided I better learn to like them because apparently these trees can grow up to 6 meters and produce a mountain of fruit. By the sounds of it, as far as producing goes, Zucchini has nothing on Avocados.
The other day we were having dinner at our friend’s place and she made a shrimp appetizer, mixed with a sauce made of ketchup and mayonnaise. The first time I tried it was in a restaurant and I thought, I don’t think so, but believe me it is delicious, it actually works.
Ingredients to make Stuffed Avocado
- Small Shrimp
- a little salt
Eventually we got to talking about plants and my husband talked about buying an Avocado tree and everyone was quite interested because an avocado is a new fruit in this country.
More Fast and Easy Appetizers
Easy Shrimp Stuffed Avocado
Unfortunately I cannot say the idea of adding Avocado was my idea, no the Italian thought of that. But why not I figured it’s added to everything else! This Easy Shrimp Stuffed Avocado was so delicious served with some crusty Italian bread or why not with a salad?
So now I can say, OK I like this and yes I am willing to give it another go. My daughter will be proud. Buon Appetito!
Easy Shrimp Stuffed Avocado
- 1 avocado
- 7 ounces small shrimp cleaned frozen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- salt to taste
- chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- In a pot of boiling water cook shrimp until tender, drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well (towel dry).
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise and ketchup.
- With a sharp knife cut the avocado lengthwise and remove pit, then carefully cut around the edges and slice to make cuts in the avocado to form small cubes (see photo remove and place in a medium bowl).
- Add the cooled drained shrimp, mayonnaise and ketchup mixture and gently mix together to coat, salt to taste.
- Top with freshly chopped Italian parsley. Serve with fresh Italian crusty bread or a salad. Enjoy!
Updated from May 9, 2016.