Nothing says spring more than fresh strawberries, and these Puff Pastry Strawberry Tarts are the perfect simple anytime dessert. Make them with homemade puff pastry or fast and easy with store bought!
Quite a few times in the year I make my Homemade Puff Pastry Recipe, sometimes I will make a savory Cheese and Tomato Pie or a couple of our favorite desserts, including this Puff Pastry Tiramisu or this Chocolate Pastry Braid. But this time I decided to make mushroom appetizers and these Strawberry Tarts.
- Puff Pastry
- Lemon juice
- Chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
Rather than making individual tarts you could make a large strawberry tart instead.
How to make a Strawberry Tart recipe
Roll out the puff pastry (either store bought or homemade) to a 1/8 inch thickness (I roll mine a bit thicker). Cut with a sharp knife or using a round cookie cutter, cut about a 3 1/2-4 inch circle. Then place each circle in the prepared muffin/tart pan, with a fork, prick each square a few times.
Blind bake the tarts. Remove the tart shells from the oven, remove paper and beans, let cool.
In a medium bowl mix together the chopped strawberries, sugar and lemon juice.
Place a teaspoon of the your desired spread or chocolate chips on the bottom of the pastry, then divide the strawberry mixture between the tarts.
Bake until the pastry is golden and cooked.
Once out of the oven, sprinkle with a few chips, and let cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with a little maple syrup if desired.
Can you use pie dough?
If you prefer pie dough then yes you can, this Easy Homemade Pie Dough or this Italian Pie Crust Recipe would work well. I used puff pastry because I like the crunchiness and buttery taste of the tarts. You could also use store bought pastry shells to make the recipe even faster.
Should the dough be blind baked first?
Yes it should be. Strawberries can be quite juicy so it is a good idea.
How to blind bake pastry
Place the cut outs in the prepared tart or muffin pan, prick the bottom of each tart a few times with the tongs of a fork.
Place a small piece of parchment paper on top and fill with beans, rice or even sugar, blind bake the tarts in the pre-heated oven 400F (200C), for approximately 10 minutes, remove the paper and beans, if you find that the dough is still quite raw, then bake again for about 3-5 minutes. They may have puffed up, gently flatten with a small shot glass.
What can I substitute with strawberries?
If you wish you could use fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries or even blackberries. The berries should probably be thawed first because the baking time is not very long. You could use chopped peaches or pears or even apple.
How to store them?
The baked cooled tarts should be stored in an airtight container (single layer) in the fridge or wrapped well in plastic wrap. They will keep for up to 2-3 days. Unfortunately baked fruit does not store well in the freezer.
If you do try this recipe, please let me know what you think! Enjoy.
Easy Puff Pastry Strawberry Tarts
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 1½ cups chopped strawberries (200-
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8-10 teaspoons Nutella or chocolate spread
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips*
- powdered / icing sugar for dusting
*You can use either or a combination.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (190C). Grease and flour or spray a medium 6 size muffin tin.
- Roll out the puff pastry (either store bought or Homemade) to a 1/8 inch thickness (I roll mine a bit thicker). Using a round cookie cutter, cut about six 3 1/2-4 inch (9-10cm) circles. Place each circle in the prepared muffin/tart pan, with a fork prick each circle a few times.
- Blind bake the tarts. Cover each shell with parchment paper and add dried beans or pie weights on top, bake for approximately 10 minutes. Remove the tart shells from the oven, remove paper and beans, let cool. if you find that the dough is still quite raw, then bake again for about 3-5 minutes. They may have puffed up, gently flatten with a small shot glass.
- While the tarts are baking, in a medium bowl mix together the chopped strawberries, sugar and lemon juice, set aside.
- Place a teaspoon of the spread or chocolate chips on the bottom of the each pastry, then divide the strawberry filling between the tarts.
- Bake for approximately 7-10 minutes, check after about 5 minutes, if the strawberries are browning too much, then place a piece of foil like a tent over them continue baking. The tarts are done once the pastry is golden.
- Once out of the oven, sprinkle with a few chips, and let cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar before serving or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Updated from May 23, 2020.