Vanilla Chocolate Crumb Cake, an easy Crumb Cake made with greek yogurt and the perfect crunchy topping. Dessert, Snack or why not Breakfast Cake!
I hope everyone that celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday had a wonderful day and that there wasn’t too much Leftover Turkey! I didn’t eat turkey but I did eat an amazing Vanilla Chocolate Crumb Cake.
And if you ate too much (but who does that on Thanksgiving?) you can always eat Soup or a little Lighter today. But make sure you make room for this delicious Vanilla Chocolate Crumb cake.
One of the best, I and yes the
three (sad face, I will make it when I see you :)) other two members of the family have ever eaten.
The Nutella queen said that and it didn’t even have Nutella in it! Although she does say her favourite will always be the Italian Nutella Crumb Cake.
I actually got the idea for this recipe from Cooks Illustrated but it was a muffin recipe with a plain vanilla crumb topping. I decided to change it up a bit, by adding a cocoa topping, I used greek yogurt and I made it into a cake instead. In my opinion can’t get much better than a yummy Crumb Cake.
I have made this cake twice this week already, needless to say it is one of those dunkers for the Italian in his morning café latte and this Vanilla Chocolate Crumb Cake is my perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of coffee or tea.
This is actually a smaller cake, I used a 7 x 3 inch round spring form cake pan. You really do need a higher pan just to hold all that yummy crumb topping.
Vanilla Chocolate Crumb Cake
As my youngest daughter said “it’s the best part”. Vanilla Chocolate Crumb Cake actually becomes a two layer cake, vanilla cake on the bottom and buttery chocolate crumbs on top. Watch for little hands stealing all the crumbs! Enjoy!
Vanilla Chocolate Crumb Cake
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter melted (cooled to warm)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt*
- 6 tablespoons butter* (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons milk (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*If using unsalted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon of salt
For room temperature remove ingredients from the fridge about 30-45 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Lightly grease and flour a 8 inch spring form cake pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugars, salt and cocoa add warm melted butter and stir to combine, add flour and mix with a fork until moist clumps appear, set aside.
- VANILLA CAKE
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl beat butter until smooth & creamy then add sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy, continue beating while adding egg and yolk, (one at a time), then add yogurt, milk and vanilla, add the flour mixture a third at a time beating just until mixed. Spread in prepared pan and cover cake batter with crumb topping, do not press down. Bake approximately 1 hour. Let cool. Enjoy!