An easy moist Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cake, made with vanilla yogurt and lots of mini chocolate chips. This Easy Cake Recipe is perfect for breakfast, snack or even dessert!
Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cake Recipe
With everything that is going on with this damn virus, every single thing is upside down. I remember 4-5 weeks ago at home in Italy, and the virus had just hit a few in Milan, within a few weeks it was totally out of control.
Every March I go back to Toronto to be with my kids, family and friends and to keep a few personal appointments. Needless to say I already had a flight booked, and since I am what they call ‘high risk’ (asthma & copd) my husband insisted I leave and hopefully be safer in Canada.
Is there a safe country left? I have pretty well been in self isolation for over a month from Italy and I will just continue it here with my kids. We are all missing the Italian but hopefully this nightmare will end soon! We will share a slice of Yogurt Cake virtually!
How to make a Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cake
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla for about five minutes.
- Then beat in half the flour next slowly add the oil while beating.
- Add the yogurt and remaining flour and beat then add the chips and continue to beat until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake.
What does yogurt do in a cake?
It helps to add moistness to the cake and because of its tanginess it adds a tangy sweet taste. It helps to make the cake light and fluffy because Its acidity helps activate baking soda.
Can you substitute the yogurt?
If you don’t have yogurt then yes you can substitute with sour cream or buttermilk.
Why use room temperature ingredients?
Room temperature ingredients beat up better than cold, the ingredients will mix together a lot easier and smoother which helps to make a soft, tender cake. If the ingredients are cold you will have a flat tougher cake.
Does the cake need to be frosted?
Personally I rarely frost cakes anymore, I before a light dusting of powdered sugar as is the norm in Italian cakes.
More Italian Cakes
So if you are looking to try an Easy Cake I hope you give this Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cake a try and let me know how it goes. Be careful everyone and stay home.
Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cake Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (divided) (170 grams)
- 1/4 cup corn starch (34 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large eggs*
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use corn or sunflower) (100 grams)
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon vanilla whole fat yogurt* (200 grams)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (43 grams)
*Room temperature, be sure to remove from the fridge 30-45 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8 or 9 inch (20-22 cm) cake or bundt pan.
- In a small bowl whisk the chocolate chip with a teaspoon of flour.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- On medium speed beat for 5 minutes the eggs, sugar and vanilla, add half the flour mixture and beat, while continuing to beat slowly drizzle in the oil, then add the yogurt and remaining flour mixture, beat on low speed until smooth, fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick. Let cool in pan then move to a wire rack. Dust with powdered / icing sugar before serving. Enjoy!