Lemon Cake a delicious moist Italian Cake, and all you need is a tablespoon for measurement. Fast and Easy and so good. The perfect Breakfast, Snack or Dessert Cake Recipe.
Give me a tablespoon and I will give you a Cake! A delicious moist Lemon Cake at that.
I first tried this cake a little while ago at a friend’s house. To tell the truth it was delicious but a little on the sweet side for me. But that didn’t stop me from asking for the recipe.
Be sure to watch the Video!
And as it turned out this was another one of those you-gotta-love “Italian Desserts”.
This Tablespoon Lemon Cake was along the same lines as my Easy Yogurt Cake that was given to me in yogurt cup measurements! But this cake is actually called Torta dei 12 Cucchiai / 12 Tablespoon Cake.
I actually remade this cake a few times until I got it right, or as the Italian declared now this is a Lemon Cake!
And that was to bring a couple of ingredients down to 10 tablespoons instead of 12, and to add a little more of this and a little less of that.
And that is why it’s called the “Tablespoon Cake”.
How to make Lemon Cake
- Beat egg and sugar until light and fluffy
- add zest and juice, milk, oil and combine
- Add flour and baking powder and beat until smooth
- Pour into prepared cake or bundt pan and bake.
- Simple, Easy and so good! And all you need is a tablespoon!
Italian Lemon Cake
If you have noticed Italians are not big on lots of creams or frostings. A simple dusting of powder sugar is all that is needed on most desserts.
Unless of course we are talking about Tiramisu. But again it is not an overly sweet dessert.
And this cake is also on the smaller size, so a larger than 8 inch cake pan is not going to give you the height that you see in this Lemon Cake.
What baking pans can I use for this Cake?
- An 8 inch (20 cm) round cake pan.
- A 7 1/2 x 3 inch (19 x 8 cm) bundt pan. (this is the best size for this cake).
- An 8 x 8 x 1 1/2 inch (20 x 20 x 4 cm) square pan.
- An 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch (21 x 11 x 6 cm) Loaf pan.
I actually found that the best size for this cake is a 7 1/2 bundt pan, do not go higher than an 8 inch.
More Delicious Lemon Dessert Recipes
Tips for making this Lemon Cake a success
When I received comments from readers who have tried this cake and it rose and then when it came out of the oven it sank, I really wanted to discover why this was happening. So …
I decided to make it changing up my beating speed. I started out beating the eggs and sugar on low speed but then turned up to medium high. I continued to beat the ingredients going from medium to medium high.
And yes the cake rose and then sank almost immediately once it was out of the oven.
I then made the cake again, this time beating the whole time on low speed (speed #1) and the cake came out perfect. So remember beat on low speed, and the eggs and sugar must be beaten at least 5-7 minutes.
I use both lemon juice and lemon zest in this recipe. Some insist that the zest has more lemon flavour than the juice.
The zest is the oil of the lemon and is therefore filled with the pure lemon flavour.
The juice holds the acidic tart taste of the lemon. Just be sure to grate only the yellow part of the lemon and no white part. The white part will add only bitterness. And you don’t want that!
So grab your tablespoon and let’s make a Lemon Cake. Enjoy!
Tablespoon Italian Lemon Cake
- 12 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs (large)
- zest one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil (your choice, I used corn oil)
- 10 tablespoons milk
- 2-3 tablespoons Icing/powdered sugar for dusting finished cooled cake
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C), grease and flour a 7 inch cake or bundt pan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat on low to medium speed (low is best but no higher then medium speed) sugar and eggs until very fluffy and light. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Then add the zest, juice, oil and milk, beat until combined. Then add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan then remove to a cake plate.
- Let cool completely before dusting with powdered / icing sugar. Enjoy!