Lemon Thumbprint Cookies are the perfect addition to your Christmas Cookie Recipe to do list. Fast, easy and really delicious especially with an Italian Pastry Cream Filling.
When I went to visit friends, actually they are more than friends, they are really my second family. I was given a box of old recipes that my friend’s mother had. After looking through the box for the good part of the day, I discovered some wonderful new recipes.
These Lemon Thumbprint Cookies are one of them. I changed it up a little bit but the flavour is amazing. I decided to fill the centres with my Creamy Italian Pastry Cream and it was the perfect combination.
I actually was going to freeze these cookies too, like I do with the Christmas Cookies I make in the couple of months before Christmas. But they were such a big hit they were gone in a day.
My mother used to make a Thumbprint Cookie, but she would fill them with Jam, which I was not that crazy about. I liked the cookie part but the Jam didn’t thrill me.
I can always remember my Mom clipping recipes from the Newspaper and this is exactly what my friend’s Mom did too! From the Winnipeg Free Press, Alison Gillmor (Recipe Swap), 12 days of Christmas Cookies, December 13,2014.
After tasting these cookies I understand why she cut it out and never got rid of it. These will certainly become a Christmas Cookie tradition in our home.
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Helpful Tips for Making Thumbprint Cookies
They are so easy to make and bake up very quickly, halfway through baking I stuck the end of a wooden spoon in the middle, because they tend to puff up, I also repeated this step when they came out of the oven.
We want I nice indentation to hold all that delicious Pastry Cream.
Pastry Cream, lemon Curd or even a simple Buttercream would make the perfect filling for these Yummy Thumbprint Cookies. So whichever you choose, Enjoy!
More Delicious Lemon Recipes
How to Make Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter 175 grams
- 1/2 cup sugar 125 grams
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla 5 ml
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest 5 ml
- 1 1/2 cups flour 190 grams
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1.4 grams
- 1 cup almond chopped fine 100 grams
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.In a medium bowl whisk together, flour, zest and salt, set aside.In a large bowl beat at medium speed butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes, add egg yolks and vanilla, beat until just combined. Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon until combined.Roll dough into approximate 1 inch balls (2 centimeters).Place egg whites in a small bowl and finely chopped almonds in another bowl. First roll balls in egg whites and then almonds, place on lined cookie sheets about one inch apart. Gently make an indentation with your thumb in every ball. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, at the halfway point check to see if the centres have puffed up, if yes, then using the end of a wooden spoon gently indent again. Remove from oven when done and indent again with wooden spoon if needed. Remove to cool on a wire rack. When cool fill with Italian Pastry Cream or your favourite filling. Enjoy!