Italian Pastry Cream the Best Cream, so delicious, perfect for filling cakes, cookies and pies.
If you eat Italian pastries or have a family that loves Italian Pastries, then you must learn to make Italian Pastry Cream.
Unfortunately, Italian Pastry Cream has always stumped me. I can never get it smooth. The taste is good, so they say, “but Ma, it’s lumpy”, until I got my friend to spill her secret!
This Traditional Italian Pastry Cream Recipe, is easy but you must give it 100 percent of your attention. The egg yolks and sugar are beaten (with an electric beater instead of by hand), together with flour and milk before thickening in a pot over low heat.
Of course once you start cooking the sauce you must whisk briskly non-stop so none of those annoying lumps appear. And voila there you have a delicate, smooth Italian Pastry Cream.
I have never really been a great lover of Pastry Cream, and then when I made my Mimosa Cake it called for a Cream Filling made with milk and cream and then I discovered that “Oh Yes” I could really like this stuff.
Now if you are looking for the perfect way to use that Cream besides a Mimosa cake well all you have to do is make some Italian Pie Dough.
It is smooth and creamy, with a delicious vanilla flavouring. Or if you like a Coffee Flavour you should really give this Coffee Pastry Cream a try.
Whatever you decide to fill with this Pastry Cream I certainly hope you enjoy it.
Italian Pastry Cream
- 1 cup milk divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour (whisk in a small bowl)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cream whipping/whole cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- ITALIAN PASTRY CREAM WITH MILK
In a medium pot add 3/4 milk and vanilla, heat on medium until milk just starts to boil, then remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl add egg yolks and sugar, beat at medium-high speed until thick and creamy (approximately 5 minutes) slowly add 1/3 of the boiled cooled milk and continue beating, then slowly add the flour and continue beating until smooth.
- Add egg mixture to the medium pot with remaining milk and cook over medium-low heat, continuously whisking briskly until mixture starts to boil, lower heat to low and continue whisking while you slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup milk, once all the milk has been added remove from heat, transfer to a glass bowl and let cool completely. If not using immediately cover with plastic (make sure plastic touches the cream and refrigerate until needed up to 5 days refrigerated). Enjoy!
In a medium pot, heat over low the milk and cream, do not boil. Remove from heat and let cool to warm.
In a medium pot add yolks and sugar, whisk together until combined, then add flour and vanilla, place pot over low heat, add warm milk/cream, whisking continuously until thickened. Remove to a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap (make sure wrap touches the cream mixture) and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
**Nutrition calculation is for the entire recipe of the Cream and Milk Italian Pastry Cream.
And if you are looking for another creamy Italian Pastry Cream be sure to check out this Delicious Coffee Pastry Cream.