Blueberry Bread, is the perfect way to bake with blueberries, a delicious blueberry filled sweet loaf, with a yummy Streusel Topping, perfect anytime.
May 1st in Italy is the equivalent to Labour day in Canada and the United States, so needless to say it is considered a biggie here.
We have been invited to spend the day with friends at their “country house” , it is basically an old Italian house that needs work, but has so much Italian personality, and is great for get-togethers, lots of space and of course a vineyard included.
So naturally with the invite, came the “can you make a dessert?” and whenever my friend says that, she means something Canadian, so since I was dying to make this Blueberry Loaf with a Buttery Streusel Topping and a hint of cinnamon for a while now. I thought this would be the perfect occasion to make it again.
I made 2, one to take and 1 for us to have for breakfast in the morning, delicious with a cup of coffee or cafe latte.
Can you make Muffins or a cake?
If you would prefer muffins or even a small bundt cake instead of a loaf no problem. That will work too. And if you can’t get fresh blueberries, then frozen are perfect too.
How to Make Blueberry Bread
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Then cut in the butter until you have coarse crumbs.
- Remove 3/4 cup of this crumbly mixture to a small bowl and stir in a little cinnamon (this will be your topping).
- In a medium bowl beat the milk, eggs and vanilla with a fork until combined.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened, gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Let cool before serving.
Helpful Tips for making a Blueberry Bread
- Be sure not to over stir or you will have a tough sweet bread. If it helps stir until 15 – 16 times.
- Even if you use fresh blueberries place them in the freezer for about 20 minutes before using.
- Toss the berries with a little (1/2 – 1 teaspoon) of flour before adding to the batter.
- Make sure you grease and flour your pan.
- Be sure to pre-heat your oven.
How to cut in Butter
To easily cut in the butter to make coarse crumbs, place the required amount of butter in the freezer for about 20 minutes, and then grate it directly into the flour mixture, stir it up and voila, coarse crumbs.
More Blueberry Recipes
- Streusel Topped Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Easy Italian Blueberry Crostata
- No Bake Summer Mixed Berry Cheesecake
- Lemon Glazed Blueberry Baked Donuts
How to Store Sweet Bread
Wrap the cooled bread in plastic or foil. Store the bread at room temperature for no more than two days. The bread can also be frozen, wrap in plastic then place in an airtight freezer bag or container. It will keep up to 2-3 months in the freezer.
If you love Blueberries like we do I certainly hope you enjoy the Blueberry Bread. Perfect with a cup of coffee anytime of day. Enjoy!
Blueberry Streusel Loaf
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (325 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (250 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter* (200 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk (180 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries ** (200 grams)
*I use salted butter if you use unsalted butter then add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 375° (190°). Grease a large loaf pan 9×5 inches/25x11cm.
- Just before mixing in the blueberries toss them with 1/2 – 1 tsp of flour, this will help keep them from sinking to the bottom.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder, then cut in butter* until it becomes crumbly ( using a pastry blender), remove 3/4 cup (100 grams) of this crumbly mixture to a small bowl, stir in cinnamon (this will be your topping) set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat with a fork, the milk, eggs and vanilla until combined (approximately 1 minute), add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened, (about 15-16 stirs) gently fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle with the crumb topping. Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes (check with a toothpick for doneness). Let cool before serving. Enjoy!
*Place butter in the freezer and then grate directly into the dry ingredients, mix with a fork until you have coarse crumbs.
Replubished from May 3, 2014.