Breakfast cookies, what a great idea! I have been making these cookies at least 4 or 5 times in the last couple of weeks. My daughters have been having get-togethers with friends during the holidays and these cookies were a major hit.
I love the fact that they are really easy to put together and quick to bake, made with yogurt and I used light butter so they are on the light side too. What could be better than that? Oh yeah, a dip or drizzle of unsweetened chocolate doesn’t hurt either.
These Breakfast Cookies are a cross between a cookie and a tea biscuit. Not too sweet which makes them perfect for breakfast. If you do like them a little sweeter, add a little jam or butter or as my youngest daughter says “a little Nutella won’t hurt a bit!”. My husband has a sweet tooth like no other and as my daughter was walking out of the house with these yummy Breakfast Cookies, we heard “hey, where are you going with those?”, so then I knew these were a keeper.
Every now and then we need a little sweet comfort food and these are perfect. Enjoy!
- 1 3/4 cups flour 200 grams
- 3 tablespoons corn starch 50 grams
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar 70 grams
- 1/4 cup butter 60 grams
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt 125 grams
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla 5 grams
- 1 tablespoon baking powder 15 grams
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180 celsius).
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, powdered sugar, salt and baking powder, add vanilla, butter cut in pieces (till resembles coarse crumbs) then add zest of the lemon, and yogurt, mix together to form a soft smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured flat surface roll dough to 1/4 inch (1/2 centimeter) thickness and cut into desired shapes. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets and bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely. Enjoy!