This Easy Italian Cappuccino Cake is a simple cake recipe made with coffee and chocolate chips. Nothing better than the combination of chocolate and coffee. Serve as a breakfast cake or afternoon snack cake.
In my opinion there is nothing like an Italian Cappuccino and trying to find one as good as they make in Italy is pretty darn hard! But this recipe gives you that taste in a cake. And combine it with chocolate and it’s perfect.
This is the perfect cake for a breakfast treat with a coffee or tea or even an afternoon snack.
- Flour – all purpose flour or cake/pastry flour
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips – semi sweet mini or regular chips
- Eggs – room temperature
- Egg yolk – room temperature
- Vegetable oil – or you can use melted butter
- Coffee – decaf will work also
How to Make Cake/Pastry Flour
For every cup of all purpose flour, remove two tablespoons and replace with two tablespoons of corn starch. Be sure to sift the flour and cornstarch together a couple of times, this way it is sure to be properly combined and lump free. Cake flour in cakes will give you a very tender texture and fine crumb, it will also help the cake to rise.
Why use room temperature ingredients?
When at room temperature, eggs, butter, and other dairy ingredients form an emulsion which traps air. While baking in the oven, that trapped air expands and produces a fluffy baked good. So be sure to remove the ingredients from the fridge 45-60 minutes before baking, sooner if you have a cool house
How to make Cappuccino Cake
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl mix the chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon of flour.
Beats eggs, yolk and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the oil and coffee beat to combine, then add the whisked flour mixture and beat to combine. add a little more than half of the chips to the batter and fold in.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle with remaining chips and bake in the pre-heated oven.
What size pan can I use for the cake?
I used a 9 1/2 inch bundt pan but you could also use a 9 inch square cake pan or tube pan. Two 8 inch loaf pans would also work.
What makes a cake fall?
- There are a lot a reasons a cake may fall, but the most common ones are, your oven temperature is off, you can always check it with an oven thermometer to check this. You open the oven door too early.
- Once the batter is mixed it should be baked, letting a cake batter sit too long can cause it to fall. The baking powder or baking soda usually start acting immediately and will only last for a very short period of time, therefore if the cake batter is left to stand before baking then there is always a risk that the baking powder or soda will have expired by the time that the cake goes into the oven.
- Your baking powder or soda has expired and is no long active.
- The pan size might not be the correct size, sometimes using a bundt pan will help.
What is a Cappuccino?
It is a hot drink made with Italian coffee and steamed milk. It originated in Italy and is consumed in the morning usually for breakfast, but never during meals or in the evening.
This is a typical Italian cake that has no frosting or icing but just a simple dusting of powdered sugar. I like the addition of chocolate chips, but you could easily substitute with chopped nuts if you prefer.
How to store a Homemade Cake
The cake should be stored in an airtight container or a covered cake dish. It will keep at room temperature for approximately 4-5 days. The cake can also be frozen. Wrap the cooled cake tightly in plastic and place in a freezer safe bag or container. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer.
More delicious Italian Cakes
- Easy Italian Apple Cake
- Italian Breakfast Cake with Mascarpone and Chocolate Chips
- Easy Italian Pear Cake
- Easy Italian Water Cake
So if you are looking for an easy Italian cake to try why not give this Easy Italian Cappuccino Cake a try and let me know. Enjoy!
Easy Italian Cappuccino Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour or cake/pastry flour (260 grams)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips (120 grams)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- ½ cup vegetable oil or butter melted (cooled to room temperature) (100 grams)
- ½ cup coffee (room temperature) (118 grams)
*Room Temperature – remove from the fridge 45-60 minutes before using.
To make homemade cake/pastry flour, for every cup of all purpose remove 2 tablespoons and substitute with corn starch, be sure to sift together to remove any lumps.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F / 180C. Grease, flour or spray a 9 1/2 inch (24cm) bundt pan.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon of flour, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beats the eggs, yolk and sugar until light and fluffy, for about 2-3 minutes. Add the oil and coffee beat to combine, then add the whisked flour mixture and beat to combine, fold in a little more than half of the chips to the batter. Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining chips and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely, then dust with powdered / icing sugar if desired. Enjoy!
Updated from May 5, 2020.