This Italian Water Cake is an easy soft and delicious cake recipe. No eggs, butter or milk necessary. One bowl is all you need. The perfect cake for a snack or even dessert. Or eat like an Italian and have a slice for breakfast!
Easy Italian Water Cake
Who would have thought that I would be remaking this Italian Cake that has absolutely no eggs, milk or butter in it? And here I am sharing it with you.
This one bowl cake is very popular in Italy. Italians love to eat it for breakfast with a cafe latte or dunk it (and the Italian does just that). Or share it with friends in the afternoon over a strong espresso. No sharing these days but soon I hope.
How to make a Water Cake
Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
Add the water, vegetable oil and vanilla, beat on medium speed until completely combined.
Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
Let cool completely then dust with powdered sugar.
Is sifting necessary?
It is important to sift the dry ingredients before beating because this gives the water cake the delicate and lighter crumb you want. I used all purpose flour but if you have pastry flour that would work also.
How to make homemade powdered / icing sugar
In a blender add 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, the cornstarch is used to keep the sugar dry. Blend until very fine, about 4-5 minutes. Keep the sugar stored in an airtight container.
Different ways to make it
This is easy cake be changed up by adding the zest of a lemon or orange if you prefer or even some ground cinnamon.
The perfect pans to use
I used a 24cm tube pan and a 9 inch loaf pan, they both turned out perfectly, my daughter preferred the loaf pan. But if you prefer an 8 or 9 inch cake pan would definitely work also.
How to store the Cake
The cake should be stored either in a covered cake dish or container. It will keep up to three days at room temperature. You can also freeze it, wrapped tightly in plastic then place in a freezer safe bag or container. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer.
More Italian Cakes
So if you are looking for a simple Italian Cake then this Italian Water Cake would make the perfect choice. Enjoy and stay safe!
Easy Italian Water Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour (or cake flour) (250 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered / icing sugar (150 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons water (room temperature) (270 grams)
- 3 1/4 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used corn or sunflower) (40 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8 or 9 inch cake pan.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the water, vegetable oil and vanilla, beat on medium speed until completely combined. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick, when it comes out dry it's done. Let cool completely then dust with powdered sugar.