This delicious Caramel Apple Cake is made with a caramelized apple filling. The perfect fall cake you will love it plain or make it extra special with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Your new anytime occasion cake recipe.
Apple cakes are extremely popular in Italy, and since I used to love caramel apples as a kid, rather than those horrible red candy ones! I thought adding a simple Caramilized Apple Filling to the mixture would be a great idea. And it was. It was voted one of the best fall recipes which was taste tested by a few friends and family members.
How to make it
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl beat together the sugars, egg and egg yolk until light and fluffy, add the yogurt and melted butter and beat together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the caramelized apples then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake and let cool completely or eat warm. You can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a light dusting of powdered sugar.
The best apples for baking
You are going to want an apple that doesn’t become mushy while baking, these are the perfect choice. Northern Spy, Jonagold, Pink Lady, Gala, Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, and Golden Delicious apples. I usually reach for Gala apples. Or you can mix a couple together.
How to caramelize apples
In a medium pot or skillet over low heat melt the butter then add the brown sugar, water and chopped apples,
stir together and cook for a few minute over medium/high heat just to melt the sugar, then lower to medium/low and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Add the cinnamon in the last couple of minutes if desired. Stir often, apples should be tender but not mushy.
Why use cake flour?
I like to use cake/pastry flour in most of my cake recipes because it makes a cake softer and more tender. You can easily make your own – for every one cup of flour remove 2 tablespoons and substitute with corn starch. Be sure to sift the ingredients together in order to combine well.
What to use for leftover caramelized apples?
Any leftovers can be used as a topping for anything from pancakes to ice cream or even a filling for crepes or I am sure they would make a delicious pie filling too, whether you use a Classic Pie Dough or a Puff Pastry Dough. Be sure to keep the leftover in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for about a week in the fridge.
More Apple Desserts
So if you are looking for a new cake recipe for the Fall why not give this Caramel Apple Cake Recipe a try and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Cake
- 2 medium apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 2 tablespoon butter (30 grams)
- 1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar (60 grams)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (if desired)
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 3/4 cups + 1 tablespoon cake/pastry flour (240 grams)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup butter melted (cooled) (110 grams)
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (room temperature) (125 grams)
For room temperature remove the ingredients from the fridge 30-45 minutes before using.
- In a medium pot or skillet over low heat melt the butter then add the brown sugar, water and chopped apples, stir together and cook for about 3 minutes over medium/high heat just to melt the sugar, then lower to medium/low and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Add the cinnamon if using in the last two of minutes of cooking time. Stir often, apples should be tender but not mushy.
FOR THE CAKE
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8 inch cake pan.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the sugars, egg and egg yolk until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes, then add the yogurt and melted butter and beat together, 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture to the beaten egg mixture and beat until smooth, do not over beat. Gently fold in the caramelized apples then spoon into the prepared pan.Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until toothpick (in the cake part) comes out clean or a couple of crumbs are attached and let cool completely or eat warm. You can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a light dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy!