This Homemade Banana Cake, is a delicious and decadent cake recipe that is made special with the additions of chopped nuts, a caramel drizzle and of course a crumb topping! It makes the perfect dessert or even a snack treat.
I love bananas, I buy lots of bananas. And needless to say when I came back from Canada I had a few over ripe Bananas. I think my husband let them go ripe on purpose! So what can a person do? Bake a Banana Cake!
The Italian loves Banana anything so this cake was right up his alley. And to make it perfect or so my youngest daughter said, add a yummy Caramel Drizzle. And I did!
For the Cake
- Flour – cake/pastry flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Butter – softened, if you use unsalted butter then add a bit more salt
- Sugar – granulated
- Eggs – 2 large room temperature
- Bananas – ripe mashed bananas
- Yogurt – regular plain yogurt
- Nuts – pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts finely chopped
- Brown sugar
- Flour – all purpose
- Butter – softened
- Nuts – pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts finely chopped
How to Make Cake Flour
For every cup of all purpose flour, remove two tablespoons and replace with two tablespoons of corn starch. Be sure to sift the flour and cornstarch together. This way it is sure to be properly combined and lump free. Cake flour in cakes will give you a very tender texture and fine crumb, it will also help the cake to rise.
How to roast the nuts
Pre-heat the oven to 350F, place the whole peeled hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake for about 6-7 minutes. Immediately move the roasted nuts to a clean bowl.
If left on the pan they will continue to bake and you don’t want that.
Why use room temperature ingredients?
With cakes and other baking, it’s always better to use room temperature ingredients. So, take any cold ingredients out of the refrigerator an hour ahead of time or sooner if it’s cool in your kitchen.
Room temperature ingredients blend easier, creating a silky batter or dough, which will help to create a light tender baked good.
How to make the Banana Cake
In a medium bowl with a fork combine, sugar, flour and nuts, stir in melted butter until crumbly. Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until light add eggs one at a time and beat.
In a medium bowl with a wooden spoon or spatula combine the mashed bananas, vanilla and yogurt.
Alternately add the dry ingredients and banana mixture to the butter mixture. Combine with a wooden spoon or spatula until smooth.
Pour half the batter into the prepared cake pan and top with half the crumb topping, cover with remaining batter and top with remaining crumb topping.
Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes, test doneness with a toothpick. Let cool 20-30 minutes in the cake pan then move to a cooling rack to cool completely, drizzle with a plain caramel sauce or even a salted caramel sauce before serving, if desired.
Tips for making the best Banana Cake
- If you use frozen bananas then drain well and mash.
- For easier removal of the cake use either a springform pan or line the cake pan with parchment paper.
- If the cake starts to brown too much before it has finished baking then place a piece of foil over the cake like a tent and continue baking.
- Check for doneness with a toothpick, if a couple of crumbs stick to it then the cake is perfectly baked and you will have a moist banana cake.
Can Bananas be too ripe to use?
Ripe bananas are great to be used up in breads and cakes. If your bananas are starting to become rotten, smell strange like alcohol/are fermented, or develop a mold, then it’s time to throw them out.
How to store a Homemade Cake
The cake should be stored in an airtight container or a covered cake dish. It will keep at room temperature for approximately 2-3 days. It can also be stored well wrapped and in an airtight bag or container and refrigerated. It will keep for up to 5-7 days in the fridge.
How to freeze it
The cake can also be frozen. Wrap the completed cooled cake tightly in plastic and place in a freezer safe bag or container. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer.
And doesn’t this Pecan Caramel Banana Cake remind you of Fall and winter, not only that your home will smell amazing. Let me know what you think of it. Enjoy!
More Delicious Banana Recipes to Enjoy!
- Banana Crumb Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
- Classic Banana Bread
Caramel Banana Pecan Cake
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (47 grams total)
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts
- 2¼ cups cake flour**
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (room temperature)
- ¼ cup finely chopped roasted pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts (if desired)
** To make Cake flour for every one cup of all purpose flour remove 2 tablespoons of flour and substitute with 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Whisk together to remove any lumps.
For room temperature remove from the fridge approximately 1 hour before using.
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- In a medium bowl with a fork combine the sugar, flour and nuts, stir in the melted butter until crumbly. Set aside.
FOR THE BANANA CAKE
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C), grease and flour an 8 inch cake pan. Springform pan is recommended or line the pan with parchment paper for easier removal.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light, add the eggs one at a time and beat to combine.
- In a medium bowl with a wooden spoon or spatula combine the mashed bananas, vanilla and yogurt.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and banana mixture to the butter mixture. Combine with a wooden spoon or spatula until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared cake pan and top with half the crumb topping, cover with remaining batter and top with remaining crumb topping. Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes, test doneness with a toothpick. Let cool completely, drizzle with Caramel. Enjoy!
- Drizzle favourite caramel topping, store bought or even melted caramels.
Updated from August 12, 2017.
Can i use sour cream instead of the yogurt ?
Hi Sonia, yes you can. I hope you enjoy it. Take care!
Eloisa medina says
Excelents cakes and easy todo prepare