Traditional Italian Biscotti also known as Cantucci or Cantuccini are made delicious with the addition of chocolate chips. Double baked crunchy cookies are the perfect dipping cookie, for Breakfast or Snack.
Everyone loves Biscotti, Cantucci, Cantuccini, and Tozzetti all known as these twice baked cookies. Although the correct term is probably Cantucci.
These deliciously crunchy cookies from Toscana are one of the most loved sweets all over and not just in Italy.
What is the difference between Cantucci and Tozzetti?
They are actually quite similar. Of course the most popular name is Cantucci or Cantuccini. These originated from the Region of Tuscany, from the cities of Florence, Prato and Siena.
Tozzetti are basically the same, the dough is similar and double baked the same way, although they are a bit sweeter and therefore considered a dessert cookie.
Their origin are the Regions of Lazio and Umbria and they are usually filled with hazelnuts instead of almonds.
Tozzetti are also more versatile, they come in a variety of flavours and ingredients, from chocolate, pistachios, pine nuts and more. And they are considered perfect for dipping in your afternoon tea or coffee as a snack.
Cantucci on the other hand are on the drier side, which means they are perfect for dipping in Vin Santo and are always made with unpeeled almonds.
So technically I suppose these are Chocolate Chip Tozzetti!
How to make Chocolate Chip Tozzetti
- In a large bowl beat together the egg, sugar and vanilla.
- Then add the salt, flour and baking powder, when almost combined add the chips.
- On a lightly floured flat surface knead the dough into a ball then divide into two parts. If the dough is too sticky then add a little more flour to the surface.
- Form each part into two logs, place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, be sure to remove them while they are still soft.
- Remove from the oven, let sit 2-3 minutes then slice on the diagonal and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Let them cool completely before serving.
Can they be made in a mixer
Yes they can, be sure to use the paddle attachment and do not over mix. When almost combined move to a lightly floured flat surface, form into a ball then divide and make two logs.
More Delicious Cantucci Recipes
How to Store the Biscotti
These cookies will keep for quite a long time. Be sure to store them in an air tight container, in a cool dry area. They will last for up to 30 days!
However if they are subjected to humidity and if they soften, unfortunately you will have to throw them away.
Can they be frozen?
The unbaked formed loaves can be frozen for up to a month. Wrap them tightly in plastic and place in a freezer bag.
Be sure to let them thaw in the fridge before continuing with the recipe.
You can also freeze the baked cookies, place the cooled cookies in a freezer safe container or bag. If stored properly they will keep for up to three months.
So this Holiday Season why not add some Chocolate Chip Biscotti to your baking list? Happy Baking, enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Biscotti (Cantucci)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon of granulated sugar (125 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 3/4 cups + 2-3 tablespoons of all purpose flour (250 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (100 grams)
- 1 egg yolk
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla, then add the salt, flour and baking powder, mix together with a fork or with the flat beater, just until almost combined then add the chocolate chips. Mix to almost combined.
- Move to a lightly flour flat surface and form into two logs about 12 inches (31 cm). If the dough is a little sticky then add a little more flour to the surface. Place the logs on the prepared cookie sheet, brush lightly with beaten egg yolk and bake 15-20 minutes, the dough should still be soft. Remove, let sit 2-3 minutes then slice (about 1/4 " or less if you wish) on the diagonal and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until dried. Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!