Muffins, oh how I love muffins, for years I could never find a muffin, for that matter I could never find a muffin tin. Then I had the bright idea of using a muffin recipe and making it into a loaf pan. Sorry not the same thing.
I remember my office days in Toronto, and how a couple of my co-workers and I would go down to the concourse and buy our super sized muffins and large coffee. How I miss those amazing, delicious and 1000 calorie delights.
So who do I thank? Bake off UK and Cake Boss? Without them I probably never would have found my long-lost muffin tins.
Unfortunately I couldn’t find the extra-large tins, so medium will have to do. Now if you love muffins as much as I do, this is a pretty damn good chocolate chip muffin recipe, especially with the crumb topping. Buon appetito!
Chocolate chip muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 187 1/2 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 5 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 5 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 3 grams
- 1/4 cups mini chocolate chips 45 grams
- 3/4 cup sugar 170 grams
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter melted 80 grams
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk 91 ml
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar 50 grams
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 12 grams
- 1/2 tablespoon butter softened 7 grams
- Heat oven to 400° (200° c) degrees, prepare muffin tins (I made 9 muffins and I filled the tins to the top),
- To make the topping, in a small bowl combine sugar and flour cut in butter and mix till mixture resembles large crumbs, set aside.
- In large bowl using a whisk, whisk together for about 30 seconds flour, baking soda,baking powder and salt, then add mini chocolate chips, stirring gently to combine.
- In a medium bowl beat together on medium speed for about 1 minute, egg, sugar, melted butter and milk.
- Fold the mixture from the medium bowl into the large bowl just until combined.
- Spoon the batter (batter will be thick) into prepared muffin tins (I lined my tins with cupcake liners). Sprinkle with topping. Bake approximately 15-20 minutes, check for doneness with a toothpick. Let cool and enjoy!