These Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are definitely a must make this Holiday Season. Simple, easy, rich and chocolaty and so good. They make the perfect addition to your cookie plate.
I love having a big variety of cookies at Christmas Time, I like sharing them with friends and family and of course we all love eating them. Sometimes, well most times we can’t even wait for Christmas to arrive and I end up making them more than once! If you are a cookie baker then these definitely need to be on your to make list!
How to make them
Why are the cookies flat?
The cookies could be flat because the oven was not hot enough, or the percentage of protein in the flour was too low (at least 12% is a good guide). Or you didn’t chill the dough enough, the dough can also be chilled over night and made the next day. If the dough has been out of the fridge for too long, I like to chill the formed cookies again while the oven is pre-heating.
What makes a cookie crinkle?
Rolling the cookie dough well in icing sugar before baking, helps make these cookies crack. Apparently rolling them in granulated sugar first then in icing sugar is a sure way of promoting the cracked top in the cookie. I only rolled mine once in icing sugar and they cracked beautifully.
How do you know when they are done?
If you like them fudgier like a brownie then bake them about 10 minutes, if you like them more cake like, like us then 12 minutes is perfect.
How to store them
The cookies should be stored in an airtight container, they will keep at room temperature for up to 5 days. They can also be stored in the fridge and they will last up to 7 days.
More Delicious Christmas Cookies
How to freeze them
You can either freeze the cooled baked cookies in a freezer safe bag or container. Or you can freeze the dough wrapped in plastic and placed in a freezer safe bag. Freeze the dough before rolling in icing sugar. Thaw the dough over night in the fridge, then form into shape and roll in icing sugar before baking. They will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
So if you are looking for a delicious chocolate cookie to bake the Holiday Season, I hope you give these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour (130 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt*
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa (sifted) (50 grams)
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar (150 grams)
- ¼ cup butter (melted & cooled) (56 grams)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*If using unsalted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- ¼ cup icing/powdered sugar (30 grams)
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cocoa, sugar and melted butter, then beat in the eggs one at a time, add the vanilla and combine. Add the dry ingredients and combine well on low.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or even over night.
- Pre-heat oven 350F (180C). Line a cookie sheet or two with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into balls (golfball size), then roll well in powdered sugar make sure they are completely covered in the icing sugar, place on the prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes. Leave on the cookie sheet for approximately 5 minutes then move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy.