These Peppermint Melting Moments are a perfect addition to your Christmas Cookie Baking List. Fast and easy with a delicate taste of peppermint. Add a creamy frosting, delicious!
Peppermint Melting Moments
I have no idea where the time goes and I still can’t believe it’s December and it’s time to start Christmas Cookie baking.
My mother always started a few weeks before Christmas and Froze her Cookies. Trust me they are just as good as fresh baked. Maybe better?
This month for my Little Get Together with my three Blogger Friends, we decided to share Recipes with Peppermint, and it’s not Christmas without Peppermint!
What are Melting Moment Cookies?
These simple shortbread type cookies, truly melt in your mouth. Made with flour, corn starch, icing sugar and butter, sometimes vanilla but in this case Peppermint extract.
Most times Melting Moments or also known as Meltaways are frosted with a creamy buttercream topping.
How to make Melting Moment Cookies
- In a large bowl cream butter and peppermint extract until fluffy.
- Sift the dry ingredients corn starch, icing sugar and flour directly into the creamed butter and mix until combined, lightly knead to form a dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for an hour.
- Then shape into golf ball size balls, place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly and gently with either a fork or a flat bottomed glass (dip in flour first so the dough doesn’t stick).
- Refrigerate about 15 minutes.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
How to Store and Freeze Melting Moment Cookies
Melting Moment Cookies should be stored at room temperature in a single layer in an airtight container. They will last up to 7 days.
These cookies can either be frozen unbaked or baked. Freeze unbaked cookie balls on a cookie sheet (make sure they aren’t touching), once frozen transfer to an airtight container or freezer bags.
Baked cookies should be frozen in single layers divided by parchment paper. Freeze in an airtight container or freezer bags.
These cookies will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
I would recommend freezing these cookies without the frosting. Frost and decorate cookies when thawed.
Thaw unbaked cookies at room temperature, then flatten and bake.
More Christmas Cookies to Make
So if you have started baking or looking for something to add to your list, I hope you give these Peppermint Melting Moments a try! Enjoy and Happy Baking!
These Peppermint Melting Moments are a perfect addition to your Christmas Cookie Baking List. Fast and easy with a delicate taste of peppermint.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup icing / powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup whole / whipping cream
- 2 cups icing / powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-3 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies or candy cane
In a large bowl cream butter and peppermint extract until fluffy. Sift dry ingredients directly into bowl and mix until combined.
Move to a lightly floured flat surface and gently knead together, form into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate one hour.
Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Remove dough from the fridge and roll into golf ball size balls, place on prepared cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Lightly flatten with a fork or a flat bottomed glass,(dip in flour first so the dough doesn't stick). Refrigerate for 15 minutes then bake for approximately 15-18 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden (do not over bake).
Let cool completely before frosting and sprinkling with crushed peppermint candies. Enjoy!
Beat butter, cream, icing sugar and peppermint extract until creamy. (if too thick add a little cream at a time, if too thin add more icing sugar).
THE TASTE CREATIONS BLOG HOP HAPPENS ON THE 1ST MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH. EVERY MONTH, MYSELF AND 3 OTHER BLOGGERS CHALLENGE OURSELVES TO MAKE SOMETHING WITH A CHOSEN INGREDIENT. HOPE YOU WILL CHECK OUT THEIR DELICIOUS RECIPES TOO. AND HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYONE!