Homemade Chocolate Liqueur, a creamy easy and so delicious Chocolate Liqueur Recipe. A perfect after dinner dessert Drink.
With the holidays just around the corner, so this year, why not treat yourself and your family and friends to a Chocolate Liqueur? This is a super easy and delicious drink recipe.
It can be served either straight up or over ice. Be sure to serve the liqueur very cold from the fridge and shake well before serving.
In Italy lots of people like to make their own liqueur, from Limoncello to a Creamy Coffee Liqueur and there is even one for Nutella fans or if strawberries are your fave, how about a tasty Strawberry / Fragolino.
I’ve made a few during my stay in Italy, but it seems that this Chocolate Liqueur went over really well, maybe too well.
Italians take their drinks as seriously as they take their food. So I guess that’s why here it’s so easy to find 95 proof alcohol. I’ve been told that it’s hard to find it elsewhere. So no need to worry, substitute with vodka and you’ll be good to go.
How to make Chocolate Liqueur
- In a medium pot whisk together the sugar and cocoa,
- Add the milk and cream stir together until well combined.
- Place the pot over medium heat, stirring continuously
- Bring the mixture to a boil and slow boil for 5 minutes, whisking often.
- Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Once it is cool add the vodka and combine well.
- Pour the Chocolate Liqueur into a clean bottle with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate until really cold.
- Delicious served over ice too.
How to store Homemade Cream Liqueur
The Chocolate Liqueur should be stored in a clean glass bottle with a tight-fitting lid, and should be stored in the fridge. It will last up to 30 days in the fridge.
This wonderful, creamy and chocolatey liqueur recipe, was given to me by a good friend who is an amazing cook along with her daughter and every now and then we share cooking tips (how many great ideas have they given me)?
We also love to share an espresso on occasion. I have to tell you, she makes the best espresso I have ever had in my life. We both use bottled water, we both use the same brand of coffee and the same espresso machine.
Could it be something in the blood? A coffee gene?
I can cook, but I keep asking myself ‘will that amazing espresso always be out of my reach?’ Still, I refuse to give up!
More Delicious Chocolate recipes for the Holidays
- Thick Italian Hot Chocolate
- Easy Homemade Filled Chocolates
- Chocolate Torrone
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
- Homemade Chocolate Syrup
Make sure you prepare this Liqueur in advance because you want to get it as cold as possible. So when it is ready just put up your feet, have a glass and together we can make a toast to a Happy Holidays, Salute! Enjoy.
Homemade Chocolate Liqueur
- 1 large pot
- Clean glass bottle with tight fitting lids.
- 2 cups 2 percent milk
- 7/8 cup unsweetened cocoa (good quality brand)
- 2/3 cup vodka
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy or whipping cream
- In a large pot whisk together the sugar and cocoa, then add the milk and cream combine well.
- When the mixture it is well combined place the pot over medium heat, stirring continuously, bring to a boil and slow boil for 5 minutes, whisking often.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Once it is cool add the vodka and mix to combine completely. Pour into a bottle and refrigerate until really cold, about three hours, shake well before serving. Delicious served over ice too.
Will last up to a month in the fridge, shake well before serving.
The recipe can be halved.
Updated from April 12, 2014.