This Simple Crumb Coffee Cake is moist and delicious. Serve it with a cup of coffee or tea for Breakfast or Snack add a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream to fancy it up!
If there’s one thing I agree with Italians on, it’s Cake for breakfast. Nothing like a crumb cake and a coffee first thing in the morning! Although this cake is just as delicious served with a cup of tea in the afternoon as a pick me up. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
How to make it
In a large bowl whisk together the flours and sugars, add the softened butter and combine until coarse crumbs appear, remove 1/2 cup and set aside.
In the large bowl with the crumbs add the yogurt, eggs, salt, baking soda and vanilla, beat the ingredients together on low speed for 1 minute. Then raise the speed to medium and beat again until smooth. The batter will be thick.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan, smooth the top then sprinkle the crumbs (that were set aside) on the top. Bake. Let cool completely before serving.
How to Make Cake Flour
For every cup of all purpose flour, remove two tablespoons and replace with two tablespoons of corn starch. Be sure to sift the flour and cornstarch together a couple of times, this way it is sure to be properly combined and lump free. Cake flour in cakes will give you a very tender texture and fine crumb, it will also help the cake to rise.
Why add Yogurt in a cake
Yogurt makes cakes moist and give it a delicious flavour, because of the acidity in yogurt it helps to activate the baking soda which will make your cake light and fluffy.
Why use room temperature ingredients?
When at room temperature, eggs, butter, and other dairy ingredients form an emulsion which traps air. While baking in the oven, that trapped air expands and produces a fluffy baked good. So be sure to remove the ingredients from the fridge 45-60 minutes before baking.
What is the difference between Coffee Cake and Crumb Cake
One of the differences between the two is the amount of streusel or crumb topping, a coffee cake has much less, and sometimes a crumb cake is all crumb, just like this Peach Crumb Cake. Another difference is a coffee cake is more cake than crumb.
Why is it called Coffee Cake
It is a moist cake usually with a light crumb topping, it is served with coffee or tea usually for breakfast or snack. Sometimes it does have coffee in it, but the reason it is called Coffee Cake is because it is served with coffee.
How to store it
The cake should be stored covered and at room temperature, it will keep for up to 3 days. It can be refrigerated in an airtight contain for up to a week, although refrigerating may cause it to dry out. Any longer than that it should be frozen.
How to freeze it
Cool the cake completely then wrap it in plastic wrap or foil, then place it in a freezer safe bag or container. It will keep for up to 2-3 months in the freezer. Thaw the frozen cake overnight at room temperature.
More Delicious Crumb Cakes
So if you are looking for a simple cake recipe then I hope you try this Simple Crumb Coffee Cake and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Simple Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour (130 grams)
- 1 cup cake flour (125 grams)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- ¾ cup brown sugar (packed) (165 grams)
- ½ cup butter (softened) (112 grams)
- 1 cup greek yogurt whole fat (room temperature) (250 grams)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 pinch salt*
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*If using unsalted butter add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8 inch (20cm) cake pan or bundt pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours and sugars add the softened butter and combine until coarse crumbs appear, remove 1/2 cup and set aside.
- Into the large bowl (with the crumbs) add the yogurt, eggs, salt, baking soda and vanilla, beat the ingredients together on low speed for 1 minute then raise the speed to medium and beat again for 2 minutes. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan, smooth the top then sprinkle the crumbs (that were set aside) on the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes, test for doneness with a toothpick. Let cool completely before serving.