This Berry Crumb Cake is an easy Homemade cake recipe to make. With only 20 minutes of prep time! Whip up this delicious cake, filled with a medley of berries for breakfast or as an after dinner dessert.
But I have to say, every time I make Muffins or a Crumb Cake, I always have the Italian asking me “why don’t you add some “frutti di bosco” (berries) to the mix, I’m sure it would work” so to make him happy, that is exactly what I did.
And to make me happy I made a buttery crumb topping! Can’t go wrong with that. Sometimes I find a crumb topping so much more delicious than a frosting.
- Flour – all purpose flour also known as plain flour
- Sugar – granulated sugar
- Vanilla – vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Salt – I use salted butter if you use unsalted butter then add a bit more salt
- Eggs – large eggs room temperature
- Egg yolk – room temperature
- Butter – softened
- Berries – mixture of either fresh or frozen berries
- Flour – all purpose flour
- Sugar – brown sugar
- Butter – cold
Why use room temperature ingredients?
With cakes and other baking, it’s always better to use room temperature ingredients. So, take any cold ingredients out of the refrigerator an hour ahead of time or sooner if it’s cool in your kitchen. Room temperature ingredients blend easier, creating a silky batter or dough, which will help to create a light tender baked good.
How to make the best Crumb Cake
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder.
In a large bowl beat on medium speed the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, add the vanilla and salt and beat to combine, add the eggs one at a time and the yolk, beat 2-3 minutes.
Add the dry ingredients and with a spatula stir gently to combine.
Spoon the cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Top with frozen berries.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar and salt, cut in butter and combine to form coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle over frozen berries.
Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes in the preheated oven or until toothpick comes out clean.
Tips to make the best Crumb Cake
An additional way to ensure that your cake doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan, you can add a round piece of parchment paper to the bottom of your pan, lightly greased and floured.
If you wish you can mix the berries with 1 tablespoon of flour, this will keep them from sinking in the batter.
If you are using frozen berries, it may take a little longer for the cake to bake. If you are using fresh berries, it may take less time to bake. Just keep an eye on your cake for the last 10-15 minutes, and test with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.
What types of berries to use
Types of berries that you can use: strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, or raspberries would work perfectly in this recipe.
Is crumb cake the same as coffee cake?
Crumb cake has a slightly thicker crumb topping than coffee cake. Also, coffee cake can be made without any crumb topping at all.
What is crumb topping made of?
The crumb topping for this recipe is made with just 4 ingredients: flour, brown sugar, butter, and salt.
How do you keep crumb topping from sinking into the batter?
Flour keeps the topping from sinking into the batter.
Should butter be cold for crumb topping?
Yes, the butter should be cold. If it is too warm, it will make the topping spread and flatten out.
How to store the Berry Crumb Cake
Crumb cake with fruit can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 hours, and then covered in plastic wrap, aluminum foil or airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.
How to freeze it
Wrap the completely cooled cake tightly in plastic wrap and store it in a freezer container. It will keep for three months.
This Berry Crumb Cake is fast and easy to make, a simple vanilla cake topped with two cups of frozen berries and then the final crumb top layer makes this the ultimate breakfast or delicious snack cake. Enjoy!
More Crumb Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
- Vanilla Chocolate Crumb Cake
- Easy Italian Fresh Peach Crumb Cake
- Chocolate Chip Ricotta Crumb Cake
Homemade Berry Crumb Cake
FOR THE CAKE
- 1½ cups + 1½ tablespoons flour (200 grams total)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup + 1½ tablespoons sugar (170 grams total)
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt*
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon butter (cold) cubed (70 grams total)
- 1 pinch salt
*If using salted butter then add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Lightly grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan. (springform pan if you have one)
FOR THE CAKE
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes, add the vanilla and salt, beat to combine, add the eggs one at a time and the yolk, beat 2-3 minutes, add the flour mixture and with a spatula or wooden spoon stir to combine.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Top with frozen berries. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the berries. Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let cool in the pan then serve. Enjoy!
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar and salt, cut in the butter and combine to form coarse crumbs.
With cakes and other baking, it’s always better to use room temperature ingredients. So, take any cold ingredients out of the refrigerator an hour ahead of time or sooner if it’s cool in your kitchen.Types of berries that you can use: strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, or raspberries would work perfectly in this recipe. Crumb cake with fruit can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 hours, and then covered in plastic wrap, aluminum foil or airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3-4 days. Wrap the completely cooled cake tightly in plastic wrap and store it in a freezer container. It will keep for up to three months.
Updated from November 25, 2016.