Fried Artichokes the Italian way, dipped in an easy 3 ingredient batter, then fried to perfection. The perfect side dish or appetizer.
I have to say we are not a big fried food eating family, but there are certain Italian recipes that just have to be eaten fried.
And yes Fried Artichokes have got to be on the list. My mother-in-law would always make them at Easter time with her own garden grown artichokes. So good!
When are Artichokes in Season?
Nowadays artichokes can probably be found year round or in the frozen section of your grocery store. But if you are looking for fresh in Season Artichokes then the perfect time is March until May.
How to clean Artichokes for frying
- With a sharp knife, cut off the tough outer leaves of the artichoke until you reach the tender pale green leaves.
- Then cut off about 3/4 of an inch of the top. Leave about 1/2 an inch of the stem.
- Cut the artichoke into quarters. Place the cleaned quartered artichokes in cold water with the juice of half a lemon, this will prevent browning.
Italian Fried Artichokes
I like to use a light egg batter that is the same recipe my mother-in-law used. I have to say whenever I make these they are gone in minutes.
How hot should oil be for frying?
You want the vegetable oil to be hot enough to cook the veggies. If the oil is not hot enough then they are soggy, too hot and they burn. So the best temperature is 375F / 190C.
I usually serve them a couple of times during the Easter Season, but usually on Good Friday when I do a fish fry also.
More delicious Italian Appetizers
So if you are a lover of Artichokes and the occasional fried food recipe is something you enjoy as much as we do.
ThenI hope you give these Italian Fried Artichokes a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Italian Fried Artichokes
- 8 artichokes (cleaned and quartered)
- 2/3 cup flour (divided) (87 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3-4 pinches salt (divided) (more or less)
- vegetable oil for frying (I use corn oil)
- Clean the artichokes with a sharp knife, cut off the tough outer leaves of the artichoke until you reach the tender pale green leaves. Then cut off about 3/4 of an inch of the top. Leave about 1/2 an inch of the stem. Cut the artichoke into quarters. Place the cleaned quartered artichokes in cold water with the juice of half a lemon, this will prevent browning.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs, 1/3 cup flour and 1-2 pinches of salt. Drain the artichokes from the water and towel dry. On a small plate add the remaining 1/3 cup of flour, dredge the quartered artichokes in the flour then dip in the egg mixture.
- Fry the artichokes in hot oil (375F / 190C), they should take 5-7 minutes to cook, turn a few times so they brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon, and place on a paper towel lined plate, sprinkle with a little salt and serve. Enjoy.