Green Velvet Cake with Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting, is the perfect cake to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! A delicious moist cake with the perfect amount of that Irish Cream Whisky to take it over the top!
Baileys Green Velvet Cake
I have always loved St Patrick’s day.
Having an Irish background on my father’s side doesn’t hurt. Everything is green, I remember when I was a kid I would go to McDonald’s and get myself one of those green milk shakes,
then I got a little older (ok quite a few years older) and would get myself a green beer.
Now I make myself a Green Velvet Cake with Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting. Just keeps getting better.
We had friends over for dinner last weekend and for dessert I served my Green Velvet Cake with Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting and I heard “that’s so pretty, it’s green”.
Needless to say St Patrick’s has no significance here in Italy. But that never stopped me from pinning a clover pin on my daughters jackets on the 17th.
I have made a red velvet for my daughter’s birthday a few years ago, so I decided why not green?
I rarely use food colouring so I probably went a little too green, so I will leave that up to you. Of course I used my new favourite, greek yogurt.
I have discovered there is nothing like greek yogurt to bring out the moistness in a cake. I also prefer it to buttermilk or sour milk. Because of its thickness you sometimes have to add a tablespoon or two of milk.
Green Velvet Cake With Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting
What about the frosting? You can’t possibly be proper Irish without a bottle of Baileys in the house. So look out cream cheese here comes the Baileys!
More Delicious Baileys Recipes
Maybe the Italians didn’t know about St Patrick’s Day but they sure do know a super yummy cake when they taste one. Enjoy!
Green Velvet Cake with Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting
- GREEN VELVET CAKE
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- leave green food colouring (I used Gel colouring, I will this up to you on how green you would like it, I used 3/4 of a tablespoon for this dark green)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- BAILEYS CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 tablespoon Baileys (you can always add 2 tablespoons Baileys and eliminate the cream)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Lightly grease and flour 2 small 7 " cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar, add egg and beat until well combined, add vanilla and combine well.
- In a small bowl mix together cocoa and food coloring add to butter mixture and beat well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour.
- Add dry ingredients alternately to butter mixture with the yogurt. Beat to combine, add milk and combine.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, let cool completely before frosting.
- FOR THE FROSTING
- In a medium bowl beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy approximately 1 minute. Lower speed to medium and add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beat well after each addition. Add vanilla, cream and or Baileys and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- To frost the cake, place the first layer on a large plate top side down, spread with approximately 1 cup of frosting, place the second cake top side up and frost with remaining frosting. Enjoy!
Updated from March 1, 2015.