This creamy Frozen Chocolate Pie is refreshing and indulgent with a homemade chocolate cookie crust, decadent no-bake filling and topped with grated chocolate. With rich chocolate flavor and a cool frozen texture, it’s a delectable dessert that satisfies any chocolate craving!
Light and creamy in texture, frozen chocolate pie is the best way to end a hearty classic lasagna dinner. Well in my opinion, anyway. It’s a luscious crowd pleasing chocolate frozen dessert that is so good you may need to have two slices.
There is never a wrong time for a chocolate dessert and while both this chocolate liqueur and Nutella ice cream cake are some of my favorite options, sometimes I just need a simple slice of a creamy chocolate pie and if it’s frozen even better.
This freezer pie uses mascarpone cheese, just like Tiramisu, which is a common ingredient for many Italian desserts as it results in a satiny texture that is not overly sweet yet very creamy! One bite and you will be reaching for another. It’s so heavenly!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Frozen Chocolate Pie
- Make ahead: This is the perfect make ahead frozen dessert! Make it the day before you intend to serve it or even a few days before.
- Cool and creamy: Perfect for summertime or anytime you need a frozen dessert!
- Simple ingredients: With only 5 ingredients, this frozen chocolate pie couldn’t be any easier to make.
- Chocolaty: With a chocolate cookie crust, whipped chocolate filling and optional shaved chocolate on top, this pie is a chocolate lover’s dream.
Recipe Ingredients and Notes
- Chocolate cookie base: You will need 1 ¼ cups chocolate cookie crumbs plus melted butter. I used chocolate wafers, but you can use Oreos or your favorite chocolate cookies.
- Sugar and water: Granulated sugar is dissolved in boiling water which will add sweetness to the pie.
- Dark chocolate: Melted quality dark chocolate bar adds rich flavor and a rich smooth texture. Feel free to use semi-sweet chocolate or German chocolate if you prefer a sweeter taste.
- Cream: Heavy whipping cream or whole whipping cream with at least 30% fat for the best creamy results.
- Mascarpone cheese: Made with whole cream, this type of cheese can usually be found in the refrigerated section of grocery stores.
How to Make Frozen Chocolate Pie
To start, make your crumb crust by mixing the cookie crumbs and melted butter together. Line your parchment line pan with the cookie crumbs and then using the bottom of a glass cup or measuring cup press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan. Cover and place in the freezer to chill.
Start the filling while your crust chills. To a small pan on the stovetop, add the sugar and water, bring to a boil and slow boil for 2 minutes.
Immediately remove from the heat and add both the chopped chocolate and sugar mixture to a blender. Blend for 2 minutes or until smooth and then let cool to room temperature.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the heavy cream and mascarpone until thick and creamy. Fold the cooled chocolate mixture into the cream and stir gently to combine.
Now it’s time to assemble your chocolate frozen pie! Remove your cookie base from the freezer and pour your creamy chocolate filling over the base, smoothing it out with a spatula if needed.
- Graham cracker crust: If you prefer, you can use a graham cracker crust instead of a chocolate cookie crust or even crushed plain vanilla cookies.
- Cream cheese: If you do not have mascarpone cheese, you can use cream cheese. It may not be as creamy but it will still be delicious.
- Ganache topping: For added luscious chocolate flavor, top your pie with a chocolate ganache. I love this easy recipe from my chocolate ice cream cake!
- Mini pies: If you wish to make this into individual pies, use a muffin tin.
Pro Tips for Making Chocolate Freezer Pie
- Prevent ice crystals from forming: When covering your pie with plastic wrap, make sure the plastic wrap touches the top of the pie. This prevents moisture from forming which could affect the pies texture.
- Cool the chocolate mixture: Before combining the chocolate with the cream mixture, ensure that it is cooled completely otherwise you risk the chocolate seizing and turning grainy.
- Slicing: To cut through your frozen pie easily, slice the pie with a hot, wet knife. If you have used a regular pie pan, setting it on a warm wet towel can prevent it from slipping while cutting it as well as it will help release the pie from the pan.
- Serve: Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired. Other toppings that would be delicious include fresh raspberries, raspberry sauce or even chopped walnuts.
- Toppings: Classic whipped cream, a dusting of cocoa powder, chocolate shavings or even a drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce would be delicious.
Does it matter what type of chocolate I use?
Yes, I recommend using a high quality dark chocolate bar as it not only melts better but gives the chocolate frozen pie a decadent taste without being overly sweet.
How long should I let frozen chocolate pie thaw?
To make it easier to slice, let your pie sit out for at least 10 minutes up to 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Can I use whipped topping instead of cream?
Unfortunately whipped topping or Cool Whip cannot be used as it will make the chocolate frozen pie too sweet and it’s not very healthy either.
Can I make this pie ahead?
Yes, that is actually preferred as this freezer chocolate pie needs 8 hours up to overnight to freeze.
Is it necessary to use a springform pan?
No it’s not necessary but a springform pan makes it easier to remove the pie once it’s set. If you have one then a regular pie dish will work just fine. Just be sure to line the it with parchment paper so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
How to store a Frozen Chocolate Pie
Store the pie near the back for your freezer for up to 2 months. Be sure to keep it tightly covered in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn.
I am going to tell you that this Chocolate Frozen Chocolate Pie is good for your health, mental health that is. Some days you really need a blast of chocolate. And a slice of this is a nice cool blast. Enjoy!
Creamy Frozen Chocolate Pie
FOR THE BASE
- 1¼ cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
FOR THE FILLING
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 6 ounces dark chocolate good quality chopped
- 1 cup heavy/whole/whipping cream (30% or more fat content)
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
EXTRAS – WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- 1 cup cream whole, whipping or heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated chocolate
- Use either an 8 inch (20cm) springform cake pan or line a regular pan with parchment paper.
FOR THE BASE
- Mix the cookie crumbs and melted butter together in the cake pan, press down evenly on the bottom of the pan. Cover and place in the freezer.
- While the base is in the freezer, prepare the filling.
- In a small pot add the sugar and water, bring to a boil and continue at a slow boil for approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a blender add the chopped chocolate and hot boiled sugar mixture. Blend for approximately 2 minutes, pour into a bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl beat together the cream and mascarpone until very thick, fold in the cooled mixture until smooth. Pour onto the cookie base.
- Cover with plastic wrap (make sure the plastic touches the top of the chocolate mixture), freeze for at least 8 hours or over night. Remove from the pan, slice and serve with a dollop of whipped cream and grated chocolate. Enjoy!
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- Whip the cream until stiff, if you like a sweeter whipped cream then you can add ½-1 tablespoon of powdered sugar when beating.
Updated from June 7, 2015.