This Savory Sausage & Mushroom Strudel is made easy using a store-bought or Homemade Puff Pastry. A delicious filling of sauteed mushrooms, sausage, cheese & spices makes this Strudel perfect as an appetizer or even main dish.
Believe it or not but savory strudels in Italy are very popular. From stuffing with a ricotta mixture to cheese or just grilled vegetables. A strudel makes the perfect appetizer or serve it with a simple salad as a main dish. Serve it hot or even room temperature. It’s so good you can’t go wrong with whatever way you make it.
How to make it
In a large frying pan add the olive oil, minced shallot, sliced mushrooms, chopped sausage and spices, cook for about 10 minutes on medium high heat. Move to a clean bowl and let cool.
Roll out the puff pastry, gently roll it out a couple of times to even it out, then place it on the prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle half the shredded cheese down the middle of the dough, top with the mushroom/sausage mixture.
Make slits about 1/2 inch thick on both sides of the dough until you reach the filling. Fold the cut strips over the filling, like a braid.
Brush with an egg wash or milk. Bake in the preheated oven until golden and cooked. Let cool 5-10 minutes then slice and serve.
What is Strudel?
Strudel is a rolled or stuffed pastry that can be sweet or salty, but its best known version is sweet made with apples, pine nuts, raisins and cinnamon. It’s place of origin is Austria.
What is the perfect dough for strudel?
Homemade strudel dough is soft and elastic and made with a just a few ingredients. It is stretched into a paper thin sheet. But for this recipe I am using a store-bought puff pastry although this Easy Puff Pastry Dough can also be used.
What to substitute for mushrooms?
We really love mushrooms, but I do realize not everyone does, so a good substitution would be peppers, broccoli rabe, onions, potatoes thin sliced or even mashed, or even scallops. Or if you have any other suggestions let me know.
How to store it
Cover the leftover strudel loosely with plastic wrap or foil. It will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It can be re-heated in a low oven before serving.
The strudel can also be frozen before baking. Wrap it in plastic wrap and place on a cookie sheet, place it in the freezer for a few hours or until firm and frozen. Then place the wrapped strudel in an airtight freezer safe container or bag and place again in the freezer. It will keep for up to 2-3 weeks. Bake it straight from the freezer, although it will need a bit more time baking.
More Delicious Strudel Recipes
- Homemade Cinnamon Apple Strudel
- Easy Baked Caprese Strudel
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Strudel
- Eggplant Cheese Strudel
So if you are looking for a tasty Savory Recipe to try, then I hope you give this Sausage, Cheese and Mushroom Strudel a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Sausage, Cheese & Mushroom Strudel
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot (if desired) minced
- 1½-2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 Italian sausages (without casing chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1-2 dashes pepper
- 1 cup cheese shredded (fontina, swiss, cheddar, gruyere or your choice)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large frying pan add the olive oil, minced shallot, sliced mushrooms, chopped sausage, parsley, oregano, salt & pepper, cook for about 10-15 minutes on medium high heat stirring often until the sausage is just browned. Move to a clean bowl and let cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (190C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry, gently roll it out a couple of times to even it out, then place it on the prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle half the shredded cheese down the middle of the dough, top with the mushroom/sausage mixture, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Make slits about 1/2 inch thick on both sides of the dough until you reach the filling. Fold the cut strips over the filling, like a braid. Brush with an egg wash or milk. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked. Let cool 5-10 minutes then slice and serve.
- In a small bowl combine 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of milk, beat to combine.