This Warm Tomato Pasta Salad is made with a few fresh ingredients including tomatoes and fresh basil. Mixed together with your favourite short pasta to create a simple tasty Summer Pasta Salad.
Tomato Pasta Salad
When it comes to the Summer I have to say I am more into the quick and easy recipes. I usually spend some time in Toronto but when I come back to Italy the heat is a killer! It is usually 40+ degrees until September!
So I am always looking for delicious recipes that don’t take too much time but have fresh ingredients.
The Best Tomatoes for Boiling
- Make sure they are ripe but firm.
- Roma (also known as Italian Plum Tomatoes.
- San Marzano.
- and one of my favourites Pachino which are a medium-sized plum shaped tomato (not to be confused with cherry tomatoes – same family but larger) from Sicily.
This Fresh Tomato Pasta Salad is both. It’s fast and it’s simple. It tastes delicious either warm or the next day refrigerated. To tell the truth the Italian preferred it the next day, because the ingredients all mingled together to give it a stronger taste.
I am more of a hot or warm Pasta person so “Serve Immediately” is always my motto!
How to Make a Warm Fresh Tomato Pasta Salad
- Boil the firm but ripe tomatoes
- Drain and let cool to touch
- Remove the skin and seeds, then slice thinly
- In a large bowl toss the tomato slices with fresh basil, minced garlic, oregano, salt, hot pepper flakes (if desired) and olive oil
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 60 minutes.
- Then add drained hot pasta and serve, or refrigerate an hour or two before serving. If you are an olive lover than a some sliced black or green olives too!
More Pasta Salads you may enjoy!
If you love Parmesan cheese as much as I do, some flaked fresh Parmesan would be the perfect touch before serving. Buon Appetito!
Fresh Basil and Tomato Pasta Salad
This Warm Tomato Pasta Salad is made with a few fresh ingredients including tomatoes and fresh basil.
- 1 pound tomatoes (roma or plum firm and ripe)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 5-6 leaves fresh basil** (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dash hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked short pasta
In a large pot of boiling water add the tomatoes and boil for 1 minute. Drain and let cool just until you can handle them. Remove the skin, slice in half and remove the seeds, thinly slice.
Place the tomato slices in a large bowl and toss with the minced garlic, oregano, basil, salt, hot pepper flakes and olive oil. Cover with plastic and let sit 60 minutes at room temperature.
In the last 20 minutes or so in a large pot heat water and a little salt until boiling, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and toss with tomato mixture. If you like olives than add some sliced olives to the mixture, and toss together. Can be served immediately or refrigerate for a couple of hours and serve. Top with flakes of Parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!