Italian Pasta Salad with Fresh Summer Vegetables is the perfect weeknight hot summer night meal. Made with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, grilled zucchini and fresh basil all tossed together with some healthy Olive Oil. So Delicious.
As you all know I moved to Italy for the pasta! Ok maybe not just for the pasta although that is what the Italian believes and he sticks by his story.
Unfortunately whenever I make pasta in the summer it is usually followed by a few boos and a few “it’s too hot for pasta.” I am consistently reminded if I must make pasta at least make a cold one.
Well, this Italian Pasta Salad with Fresh Summer Vegetables is kind of cold. A semi-freddo (half cold) pasta style.
All the ingredients are cold except for the pasta which is tossed with these soooo fresh tomatoes, some cut up, grilled zucchini (I bet you were wondering what to do with any leftover Grilled Zucchini) fresh mozzarella, black olives, fresh basil and some olive oil.
So let me tell you, because the pasta is hot it softens up that fresh mozzarella just right. As far as the tomatoes go I use ones that are not overly ripe and on the hard side.
You will want some bite to this Italian Pasta Salad with Fresh Summer Vegetables.
So now everyone is happy, me because I get my pasta and the family because it isn’t hot! Trust me with this heat they do have a point. Buon Appetito!
Italian Pasta Salad with Fresh Summer Vegetables
- 2-3 medium to large tomatoes diced and seeded not too ripe but firm
- 1 fresh mozzarella diced more if you desire
- 5-7 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 6-8 strips grilled zucchini chopped
- 10 black pitted olives chopped
- pinch hot pepper flakes if desired
- 4 tablespoon olive oil 60 grams
- 3 1/2 cups cooked short pasta 700 grams, approximately 2 1/4 -2 1/2 cups dry
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water.
- While pasta is cooking in a medium bowl, toss gently together the tomatoes, mozzarella,zucchini,olives, basil leaves and hot pepper flakes add cooked pasta and olive oil. Toss gently together, Serve immediately. Enjoy!