The first time I tried this cake I was at a friend’s house, she asked if I would like to try a piece of Plum Cake, at first I thanked her and said I had just eaten and I wasn’t hungry at the time, needless to say I didn’t want to admit to the fact that I didn’t like plums.
She said she was sure that I was a chocolate lover and that she was positive I would like it. Chocolate I thought, but you called it Plum cake. Needless to say she was absolutely right, I loved chocolate and I still do, you can never have enough chocolate in your life in my opinion! And yes the cake was so delicious.
Now I needed to discover why Italians called their interpretation of the American Pound Cake, Plum Cake. And what did I discover?
Nothing too interesting, consensus has it that it was a mispronunciation of the word pound! Oh well, they might have gotten the pronunciation wrong but they sure got the cake right.
In Italy these simple, tasty and quick cakes are perfect for breakfast or offered with coffee when friends are visiting. Often made with yogurt or eggs.
I found this Plum Cake a perfect base for some strawberries and whipped cream, an Italian Strawberry shortcake.
Delicious served plain, dusted with some icing sugar or as a new go-to for a strawberry shortcake. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups flour 200 grams
- 6 1/4 tablespoons corn starch 60 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 8 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 2 grams
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar 180 grams
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt 120 grams
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon whole cream 100 grams
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 50 grams
- 1/3 cup mini unsweetened chocolate chips 70 grams
- Pre-heat oven to 340° (170° celsius). Lightly grease and oil a 9 inch (23 centimeter) loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl cream eggs and sugar until foamy, add the yogurt and with a wooden spoon gently stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, corn starch, baking powder and baking soda, then add a little at a time to the creamed mixture stirring gently to combine, add cream and vegetable oil stir to combine, then fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon into prepared loaf pan. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before serving. Dust with icing sugar if desired. Enjoy!