This delicious Homemade Lemon Pudding Cake makes the perfect dessert, no need for frosting it makes it’s own topping.
Lemon Pudding Cake
If you know anything about me or my husband you will know that we adore anything lemon. I am partial to Lemon Desserts and he will take lemon anyway, on fish, in salad, desserts and gelato.
I always remember my Mom making Pudding Cakes and I was always intrigued that it actually worked! And not only does it work it tastes amazing too. A creamy pudding and soft cake, can’t get much better than that!
Why is a Pudding Cake baked in a water bath?
The water bath helps to insulate the thick pudding layer and prevents it from over-cooking and becoming rubbery, and at the same time it helps the the cake rise high above the pudding.
More Lemon Desserts you may enjoy
How to make a Pudding Cake
- Cream butter and half of the sugar.
- Then add zest and egg yolks, beat well.
- Into the batter stir the flour alternately with the milk then stir in the lemon juice.
- Beat egg whites and remaining half of the sugar until stiff.
- Fold the stiff egg whites into the batter and combine well.
- Pour into a prepared 8 inch cake pan.
- Place the cake pan in a larger pan of 1 1/2 inches of hot water.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Dust with some powdered sugar and serve warm.
So if you want to bring back some memories or start some new ones, then I think this Lemon Pudding Cake would be the perfect Dessert! Enjoy.
Lemon Pudding Cake
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup sugar (divided)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1/4 cup flour (all purpose)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C) and grease and flour an 8 inch square or round cake pan.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and half the sugar (1/3 cup), add the zest and egg yolks beat to combine. Stir in (with a wooden spoon) the flour alternately with the milk. Then stir in the lemon juice. Combine well.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup sugar until stiff, then gently fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared cake pan. Place the cake pan in a larger high sided pan filled with 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) of hot water. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool to warm, dust with powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy!