These simple Savory Biscotti made with Cheese and Olives are a perfect addition to your appetizer tray. Make them thinner for dipping or spreading or thicker to dunk in your favourite soups or stews.
Savory Biscotti with Olives & Parmesan
Is there a food you aren’t crazy about but which you were? That people just enjoy so much and you wish you could too?
Well that is me and Olives. I actually like them in things, such as pizza, bread and especially in these Savory Biscotti. But I just wish I could pop them in my mouth one after the other!
I can’t do it with olives but I can do it with these Cantucci. Yes as they are actually called in Italian. They can be either Sweet or Savory.
More Delicious Biscotti recipes
How to make Savory Biscotti
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and parmesan.
- Make a well in the middle and add the egg, butter and milk, start to combine with a fork.
- When almost combined add the sliced olives and mix to combine.
- Move the dough to a flat surface and knead into ball.
- Divide it in two parts and form into an 8 or 9 inch log.
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cut the logs on the diagonal 1/4 to 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Place cut side up back on the cookie sheet and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until dried.
- Let cool completely before serving. Best if left to cool for at least 2 hours.
Can they be made with a mixer?
Yes the biscotti can be made with a mixer using the flat beater. Just be careful not to over beat. Beat just until combined, then gently knead to bring it together.
What are the best olives to use
I just used plain green and olive canned olives. You can use both or choose between one or the other. The Italian thought a nice spicy olive would make a great alternative too!
What can I use instead of olives?
If you don’t like olives than you can substitute with chopped pistachio or even pine nuts.
How to store them
The cantucci should be stored in an airtight container in a cool dry area and will keep for up to one week.
How to freeze them
The biscotti should be placed in an airtight freezer safe bag or container. They will keep for up to three months if stored properly.
So if you are looking for an interesting and different variation of Italian Biscotti, then I hope you give these Savory Biscotti with olives and Parmesan a try and let me know. Buon Appetito!
Savory Biscotti with Olives and Parmesan
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (40 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons salted butter softened and chopped (40 grams)
- 6 1/4 tablespoons milk (I used 2%) (50 grams)
- 22 olives black or green or a mixture sliced (50 grams)
- Pre- heat oven to 350F (180C). Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and parmesan cheese, make a well in the middle and add the egg, butter and milk and start to mix with a fork add the chopped olives and mix until just combined.
- Move the mixture to a lightly floured flat surface and knead gently to combine. Form into two logs about 8 or 9 inches (20-22 cm) long, place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, let sit 3 minutes then cut on the diagonal into 1/4 inch (more or less as desired) slices. Bake again for 10-15 minutes or until dry and hard to the touch. Let cool 2-3 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!