A healthy Olive Oil based Savory Pie Crust, this dough comes together in 10 minutes and better than store-bought. It’s Perfect for all your savory tart and pie recipes.
Italian Savory Pie Crust Recipe
I love Pies, Crostate and even tarts, and lets face it homemade is healthier and in most cases tastes better than store bought. So I thought I would give a Savory Pie Crust a try and it worked out perfectly.
The olive oil makes this a soft compact dough, that isn’t sticky and rolls out like a dream.
The ingredients for a Savory Pie Crust:
- There are only four ingredients in this Dough, simple and easy.
- flour – I like to use an all purpose flour which is high in protein, but you could use a lower protein flour such as 00.
- salt – is used to enhance the flavour of the dough.
- olive oil – it adds flavour and a little crunchiness to the crust.
- cold water – to help bring it all together.
How to make Savory Pie Dough:
It is very easy to make this Savory Dough Recipe, you can make it either by hand or with a food processor. In either a large bowl or food processor whisk together the flour and salt, then add the olive oil and mix with a fork or pulse until you have coarse crumbs.
Finally add the cold water slowly, while stirring or mixing on low with the food processor until the dough comes together.
Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and knead until dough is smooth and compact. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 – 60 minutes.
What to make with Savory Crust:
This is the perfect crust for any savory dish, one of your favourites or one of mine –
- Tomato Cheese and Savory Pie
- Easy Cheesy Asparagus Quiche
- Italian Fresh Tomato Cheese Pie
- Italian Savory Rustic Pie
How to store Savory Pie Dough:
The dough should be wrapped tightly in plastic and kept in the fridge. It will keep up to 3 days. This pie dough will make 2 eight inch pie crusts, any left over dough should be refrigerated or frozen.
Can you freeze Pie Dough?
You can freeze the dough in a couple of ways, the first is to wrap the dough tightly with plastic wrap, then place the dough in an air tight bag. Be sure to thaw the dough in the refrigerator which will take approximately 3 hours and then roll it out as per the recipe.
The second way is to roll the dough out fit it into your desired pie pan and then freeze the unbaked pie crust. Wrap the unbaked pie crust tightly with plastic wrap, and then place in an airtight freezer bag.
You don’t have to thaw the unbaked crust, you can bake it immediately from the freezer. Just add about 3-4 minutes to the baking time.
The frozen pie dough or pie crust should be used within 3 months.
So if you are like me and love making savory pies or tarts, then I hope you will give this Savory Dough a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Italian Savory Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour (260 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil (50 grams)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon cold water (130 grams)
- In a large bowl or bowl of a food processor whisk together the flour and salt, then add the olive oil, stir with a fork or pulse to combine to form coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add the cold water and continue stirring or pulsing until dough comes together.
- Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and knead until smooth. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate one hour before using.