Easy Italian Seafood Fry, when it comes to fish or seafood I am really quite picky. I like a baked trout, some shrimp maybe some halibut, but basically not much more than that. Except for this amazing Seafood Fry.
The first time I had this dish was at my own wedding reception here in Italy. We were actually married in Toronto, but we had a second reception for my husband’s family and friends when we returned to Italy.
I have to say a wedding reception in Italy is like no other. If it starts at one o’clock you will probably finish eating at seven o’clock, with all those never-ending dishes, I kid you not!
And yes you would enjoy every minute of it.
If I remember correctly the Seafood Fry dish is approximately dish number four, and usually it is the dish everyone waits for.
Delicious seafood, shrimp, calamari rings and small bites of halibut deep-fried to perfection in a light flour coating and tossed with just the right amount of salt.
After my first taste I knew I would be making this Seafood Fry again and again. This dish is always very common on Christmas eve.
This is probably the biggest fish holiday of the year next to of course Good Friday. But I certainly make this Seafood Fry more than two times a year in my house.
I hope you enjoy it enough to make it more than once in yours too.
This dish is sometimes served with french fries, but I like to make my pan-fried potatoes as an accompaniment to this Seafood fry dish.
If you prefer oven baked potatoes you could always serve roasted potatoes with rosemary if you like. Whatever you choose I am sure this easy and so addicting seafood fry will be enjoyed. Buon Appetito!
- FOR THE SEAFOOD FRY
- 1 1/2 pounds seafood (calamari rings small shrimp and medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined), 750 grams
- 1 cup of flour approximate
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil for frying I usually use sunflower oil
- FOR THE PAN- FRIED POTATOES
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 26 grams
- 5-6 potatoes peeled and cubed small
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano 3/4 gram
- 1 teaspoon salt 6 grams
- pinch of hot pepper flakes if desired
- FOR THE SEAFOOD FRY
- In a medium to large sized heavy bottom pot add 2 inches (5 centimeters) of vegetable oil and heat to 360° - 370°.
- Clean and rinse the fish place in a colander to drain, place flour on a medium- sized plate, add fish a small handful at a time, making sure not to crowd the fish, (I usually start with the calamari), deep fry till golden, drain on plain paper towels or brown paper bag, sprinkle with salt and toss to combine. Cover and keep warm (in the lowest temperature on your oven) while cooking the rest of the fish. Serve with pan- fried potatoes or roasted potatoes.
- FOR THE PAN FRIED POTATOES
- In a medium pan add the olive oil, cubed potatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, hot pepper flakes and rosemary leaves, cover and cook on low to medium heat for approximately 25 minutes, tossing occasionally, uncover , raise heat and continue to cook till browned and crispy.