I decided to make these flaky, simple biscuits a couple of weeks ago. I was making the lentils and sausage soup and I thought “I would love to give it a little North American touch, I know, I’ll make biscuits!” What’s better than soup and biscuits?
One problem though, I didn’t have buttermilk (can’t get that here in Italy, that I know of) and no butter, (butter in the freezer), so
I thought, I’ll use sour milk (make my own with lemon juice) and I’ll use corn oil instead. These simple biscuits came together so easily and so quickly and to think that I literally put these together at the last-minute. To quote my eldest daughter “Wow Ma, these are the best biscuits I have ever eaten!” I must admit they are really really good.
Lunch time arrives, we sit down to eat and I hear, “good soup!” and my eldest: “try these biscuits!” and then I hear and can’t believe my ears, “I don’t think so”, aren’t they a dessert? I need bread with my soup” (that was my husband speaking) Hahaha gotta love the Italians. So naturally after the soup the Nutella queen screams “I know exactly what they need!” and runs towards the cupboard. And of course my husband pipes up, “great idea!”
So that is how my amazing crispy-topped-soft-centered-better-than-I-have-ever-tasted-simple biscuits became a dessert.
So no matter how you like your biscuits, with soup, or stew, or with a cup of coffee spread with some butter or as my family can’t seem to resist these simple biscuits with Nutella in the middle, I hope you try them too. Enjoy!
- 3 1/2 cups flour 437 grams
- 1 tablespoon baking powder 15 grams
- 1 tablespoon sugar 16 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 5 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 grams
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil 133 grams, I used corn oil
- 1 cup sour milk (to make sour milk add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to a 1 cup measure and top off with milk, let sit for about 10 - 15 minutes), 245 grams
- Pre-heat oven to 400° (200° celsius)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt . Add the oil and using a pastry blender or fork combine until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the sour milk. Stirring with a fork until mixture forms a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface place the dough , knead the dough about 10 times. Roll into an eight inch square (or as close to a square as possible about 1" thickness (2 1/2 centimeter) and cut dough into circles or squares. Place the circles or squares approximately 1 1/2 inches (3 centimeters) apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush biscuits with some milk and bake for about 15 minutes or until light brown on top. Remove biscuits from the baking sheets, can be served warm or let cool. Enjoy!